Options

OUTLOOK OFFLINE

j938j938 Member Posts: 101
Hey guys what are some of the causes that causes outlook to go offline ? esp. when it isnt chosen to go offline.
I know if you loose network for moment it will say disconnected. - as i did a self test

But what causes it to go into offline mode.???

using exchange 2003 server
domain enviroment.
XP PRO sp2

if any of that matters.
Growth is limited.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Which version of Outlook are you using?

Here is some information on 2007: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012329601033.aspx

It looks like you can set it to automatically go offline if it cannot contact your Exchange server.

[edit]

It looks like this goes back to at least 2000:
    To have Outlook automatically detect whether you are offline or not, click the Automatically detect connection state radio button.

http://www.techdocs.ku.edu/docs/email/outlook_2000_offline-folders.shtml
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Which version of Outlook are you using?

Here is some information on 2007: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012329601033.aspx

It looks like you can set it to automatically go offline if it cannot contact your Exchange server.

[edit]

It looks like this goes back to at least 2000:
    To have Outlook automatically detect whether you are offline or not, click the Automatically detect connection state radio button.

http://www.techdocs.ku.edu/docs/email/outlook_2000_offline-folders.shtml

so the reason why it happens is more related to our network or a setting to go offline?
    Growth is limited.
  • Options
    iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    Loss of connection with the Exchange server. Usually caused by a reboot of the server.

Happend to me a number of times.
  • Options
    iowatech wrote:
    Loss of connection with the Exchange server. Usually caused by a reboot of the server.

Happend to me a number of times.

So mainly theres a problem with contacting the server ... The server hasnt been rebooted at all
    and this has happen a number a times.

Where do you think that problem may resides at. Cause I had a person call me and shes in the office where the server resides at and then after i got off the phone with her i just happen to look down and notice mines was offline.

Of course this isnt a big issue just a useless call when you have to tell the end user to just right click on offline and click where it says work offline.

Thanks.
    Growth is limited.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    IT management claims that very issue cost our help desk about $2,500 last year is talk times.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    Ok then,

How many users are connecting to this server?

Are users in remote and local locations relative to the server?

Is this a remote office, if so what speed is the line? Even a 512k/768k line can get sucked dry enough to start causing exchange problems.

Watch the load on the server to see if the system is running out of resources.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Like the above post states, get the network information regarding the users relation to the Exchange Server. Also check storage and Event Logs for any problems with Exchange. If you are on an unreliable or slow connection to the exchange Server, you Exchange Cached mode will help out, and you will get the disconnected whenever Exchange or network connectivity is down, but users will be able to function locally offline until it comes back up.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    seems knidda odd to me based on your explanation

unless you have users that panic right away... we have a few of those too

if your able to put outlook back online and it works... the connection is there and is dropping for an instant .,..still an issue if effecting multiple users

but from what i've experienced... normally when it goes offline it will attempt to reestablish the connection once one is available ( not sure how often it checks if a connection is there though) unless yuo;ve put outlook offline manually of course

anyway as stated above get some logging info from what ever you can.. the server, switches of they are managed

see if there is any pattern to it
  • Options
    Thanks guys I will use all the info you've provided me
    Growth is limited.