Options

CCNP in 2008

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    just finished the BSCI Cisco press book, I'm trying to figure out what to do next for my studies. Going to buy CBTNuggets CCNP package, debating buying a real 2500$ lab or just getting a sim.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Don't get a sim. Sims are not good for CCNP. You need all the debugs to get a good grasp on the material. Plus it sucks troubleshooting for an hour just to find out its a bug....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What are your opinions on this lab everyone?
    With a little shopping and some luck, and lots of time spent on ebay bidding, you could save some
    money by building your own. Or, for that price, you could toss in a 3550 and some Fast Ethernet
    interfaces for the 3600s.

If you don't mind paying for the convenience of an all-in-one-kit -- it isn't bad.

I got my 3750s from that seller and I'm quite happy with them (and the price was really good) :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looks to be about $600-700 over priced for what they're giving you, and I don't think Internetworkexpert would be too happy about him giving out copies of their workbooks.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dtlokee wrote:
    I don't think Internetworkexpert would be too happy about him giving out copies of their workbooks.
    I'd guess he is a "reseller" -- so his cost would be less than the $250 retail price.

IE is good about tracking down the people who blatantly sell pirated copies, and this guy has been
    doing it for a while. But I would ask him if the workbook is covered under the IE upgrade protection
    plan.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    you guys want to sell me your labs? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    okay, ive started my purchasing:

2x2950s
    1x2522(found this cheap!)
    1x2509(also pretty cheap)
    1x3640 w 1E2W and 4A/S and 12.4 Enterprise IOS(ouch, but found a cheaper source after I bought this one, hopefully want to get 6 total, 5 more to go)

How does that look?
  • Options
    JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    How's everyone progressing given the end of the year is pretty close now?

I've made zero progress. But now I'm finally in a position to start studying. Should have the rest of the years network optimisation planned soon. Then I'll just be making other people work and mostly studying I hope. Will set up the lab today.

My plan is to take BSCI mid-December. Work are paying for it at least so that's something in return for being shafted for the last year. Then with study plan in place I hope to charge through the other exams and the CCIE written.
  • Options
    Deltah_Deltah_ Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    With 2 exams already done, I will begin BCMSN next week, and after I will do BSCI. Maybe in January I will be CCNP certified. But also I want to do the CCNA:Security soon because after the ISCW and Security+ exams, a lot of study time would be reduced.
    So this spring, with CCNP, CWNA, CCNA:Security. Security+ and 3 years of experience in network/telecommunication will be a good time for change job and increase my salary.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Good find, thread from the dead!

Well I finished up my CCNP this year. Ended up being a solid 6-8 months total but well worth it.

Heres to '09 ;) CCIE or bust!
  • Options
    j4sj4s Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started studying in January, failed BSCI February, studied a bit more and passed it in March, then moved onto BCMSN and got that one in May, ISCW followed in July, and tomorrow I take the ONT.

I said in another thred that I've found the ONT the most difficult to learn, mainly because I don't do a lot of QOS in my job, but the other exams covered topics that I work on every day.

So Im sat here reading through the exam cert guide and hoping that tomorrow it's a good day.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Didn't even know this thread existed, but I did mine this year. :P
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    Starting CCNP Network Academy in 2 days, I've started building my home lab (matter of fact I just got through "breaking" my 3640 because the distributor left the config on it) and LOTS and LOTS of OJT!!! I might pick up the CBT Nuggets at a later point. Hopfully I can have my NP done by this time next year! I'm going to try and pass the tests as I pass the courses.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    Panzer919 wrote:
    Starting CCNP Network Academy in 2 days, I've started building my home lab (matter of fact I just got through "breaking" my 3640 because the distributor left the config on it) and LOTS and LOTS of OJT!!! I might pick up the CBT Nuggets at a later point. Hopfully I can have my NP done by this time next year! I'm going to try and pass the tests as I pass the courses.

good luck man!
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    well i just became a CCNP that would be it for me in 2008 i was planning to get CCDP but i just going to take my time for that one i think i deserver a rest
  • Options
    congrats!! I can't wait to finish this. Although, I will miss it a lot.
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was hoping to have CCNP/CCDP done this year but work was alot more then I could handle until just last month. I now have more time and am attempting the my first CCNP exam this month, BCMSN. I hope to at least nail down 1-2 more this year but that may be reaching a little...
  • Options
    LOkrasa wrote:
    I was hoping to have CCNP/CCDP done this year but work was alot more then I could handle until just last month. I now have more time and am attempting the my first CCNP exam this month, BCMSN. I hope to at least nail down 1-2 more this year but that may be reaching a little...

BCMSN is a fun test. Good luck man.
  • Options
    j4sj4s Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I picked up my CCNP today when I passed the ONT exam, despite my reservations about it, so a few weeks/months off and then onto the CCDA/P, and then Im thinking the CCIP, and then maybe a shot at the title.

Who knows how these things will pan out.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    I am on track to complete my NP. I have ISCW this friday and ONT end of Oct beginning of Nov. Which will be about a year since I started (last thanksgiving).
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    j4s wrote:
    I picked up my CCNP today when I passed the ONT exam, despite my reservations about it, so a few weeks/months off and then onto the CCDA/P, and then Im thinking the CCIP, and then maybe a shot at the title.

Who knows how these things will pan out.

congratulations man!! Very nice.
  • Options
    kryolla wrote:
    I am on track to complete my NP. I have ISCW this friday and ONT end of Oct beginning of Nov. Which will be about a year since I started (last thanksgiving).

wow! good luck!! Let us know how you make out.
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    on track as well here :) Got a little side tracked with CCNA:Security and a few CCSP exams... (SND/SNRS)

But now concentrating on the last hurdle - ONT!!! hopefully have it sorted out by the end of october.... :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    karanckaranc Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    my cisco journey started in jan 2008 ......and till date i am CCNA,and BSCI completed so 3 to go for CCNP.....my plan is to get CCNP by jan 2009 but it looks tough now as BSCI eat up more then 3 months ...but will give it a best try no matter what....

after CCNP i'll try my best to get into some big ISP ...to be able to give a best try for CCIE (ahhh just meniton of this exam give me shivers.....)

ISP companies..............thr is a good guy looking for a job ..lol
    next exam -> ICSW (CCNP 50% done)
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently studying for BSCI. I like the journey and the amount of knowledge that comes with.
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    Yes.. BSCI is full of information.. I love learning new material.
    This is so fun to read and learn.

i supposed to take my BSCI exam in early october.

i setup labs for everything from, EIGRP, OSPF, Route Maps, Redistrubtion, BGP, IPv6, Mulitcast.
    The only thing i couldnt setup on my lab is IS-IS.. becuase my IOS didnt support it.

i glad i have these labs to practice and get a hang of the syntax.
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    I will try. ISCW and BSCI left.

Will take ISCW first and leave BSCI for dessert. I have scheduled BSCI training courses and hope they will help in passing.

Imho 3months is enough if you hit the books and routers hard :)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Unfortunately, my cert-plans were slightly derailed this year. I had to push back my plans to finish the MCSE, so the plans for CCNP got pushed back as well. Hopefully, I can knock out the remaining MCSE exams this year, get the other two MS exams I'd like to take (70-620 and 7-236) knocked out in the following two or three months, and be back in the Cisco-game by next summer. Here's to finishing CCNP by the end of 2009! :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    Just passed my CCNA today and I'll probably be starting my BSCI studies in the very near future. I've got an ambitious plan to ice off the NP in 10 months so we'll see what happens...