Options

BCMSN Lab portiflio !!!

CCIE_2011CCIE_2011 Member Posts: 134
Hi every one ... Did any one tried BCMSN Lab Portfolio!!!
How good is it? and what are the lab equipments required ?
And please can you compare it with the older book ... Practical studies : switching

I'm planning to buy this book .... but i wanna get some feed back from you guys :)?
. : | : . : | : .

Comments

• Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got it several days ago and while its not nearly as thick as the BSCI (571 vs 215 pages) it does seem to cover all the topics. Chapter breakdown is as follows:

Chp1 - Network Requirements
    Chp2 - Defining VLANS
    Chp3 - Implementing Spanning Tree
    Chp4 - Implementing Inter-VLAN Routing
    Chp5 - Implementing High Avail in a Campus Environment
    Chp6 - Wireless LANS
    Chp7 - Configuring Campus Switches to Support Voice
    Chp8 - Minimizing Service Loss and Data Theft in a Campus Network
    Chp9 - Case Studies

The one thing that I did notice vs the BSCI was that the lab requirements for this book are a little hefty. For the BSCI guide you can get away with spending roughly $800 for a lab that will suffice for the entire book where as for the BCMSN it is a little bit more demanding. The intro states it needs 2-3560s and 2-2960s which in total can rup you up to several thousand $... I think once I get my BSCI out of the way I will be forced to use Dynamips to do the rest.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think once I get my BSCI out of the way I will be forced to use Dynamips to do the rest.

I wouldn't use Dynamips for BCMSN.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I think once I get my BSCI out of the way I will be forced to use Dynamips to do the rest.

Any reason why?
  • Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    From what I have heard is that Dynamips does not handle switches very well especially STP. I haven't tired myself, but I have seen that stated several times.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when I get closer to the BCMSN that I will be able to borrow some of the $$$$ switches.
  • Options
    Well that sucks... I guess I will have to get some of the 8 port 3560s just for labs.
  • Options
    Dynamips doesn't emulate switches .... only routers icon_sad.gif

for BCMSN you'll need switches to practice.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    LOkrasa wrote:

Any reason why?

Dynamips does not emulate switches. You can run an etherswitch module, but its not the same. And like bmauro stated there are bugs.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    LOkrasa wrote:

Any reason why?

Dynamips does not emulate switches. You can run an etherswitch module, but its not the same. And like bmauro stated there are bugs.

Man I had no idea... that really sucks! Oh well I am always looking for reasons to blow $ on equipment so I guess now I got plenty... lol
  • Options
    Dynamips doesn't emulate switches .... only routers icon_sad.gif

for BCMSN you'll need switches to practice.
  • Options
    islametislamet Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    3550's with EMI image should be OK for most labs and are a lot cheaper than 3560's