RIS---can you install Server 2003 over network?

I have Dell Poweredge 4600 with PXE capabilities.

I want to try and install Windows 2003 on this server using a network installation.
I cannot use floppy or CD ROM because they are disabled and non functioning.

http://www.techtutorials.info/2003instal.html

This link gave me info that it's possible to install Server 2003 Standard, but not as a domain controller.

Anybody ever attempted a network install of Server 2003 with PXE and RIS?
CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I believe you need to create an image to use RIS. I don't think you can just provide a network path to the installation files. This Technet link might provide some direction for you: http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/c62e5951-5eb9-42f1-95ae-490e5d7a55511033.mspx?mfr=true

Does the machine have USB? You could always try an external USB CD or DVD drive as well.
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Yes you can do it... during the setup you can just provide the CD and it will copy it as am image to the harddrive. I've used it for the same reason before.
    Dustin Leefers
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello have you tried Windows Deployment Services (WDS) this is very similar to R.I.S. and requires the same PXE compliant network interface, the good thing about WDS is you are actually able to capture the whole O.S. image which is already configured, also your able to install the setup disk via WDS which is then installed through the network client trying to obtain an OS install.

To do this you will need to download SP2, and by going to add/remove Windows Server 2003 component you will then be able to install this functionality, to capture an Image you will need your Windows Vista CD, in WDS you will need to mount a boot file which is located on the Windows Vista setup disk.
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    jbaello wrote:
    Hello have you tried Windows Deployment Services (WDS) this is very similar to R.I.S. and requires the same PXE compliant network interface, the good thing about WDS is you are actually able to capture the whole O.S. image which is already configured, also your able to install the setup disk via WDS which is then installed through the network client trying to obtain an OS install.

To do this you will need to download SP2, and by going to add/remove Windows Server 2003 component you will then be able to install this functionality, to capture an Image you will need your Windows Vista CD, in WDS you will need to mount a boot file which is located on the Windows Vista setup disk.

I don't want to use Vista. I want to deploy Server 2003 using RIS on a Server 2003 machine.

Is this possible using WDS?
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Goldmember wrote:
    jbaello wrote:

I don't want to use Vista. I want to deploy Server 2003 using RIS on a Server 2003 machine.

Is this possible using WDS?

WDS will deploy any OS which is 2000 and up, Vista is just the boot menu you use to enable client to boot through PXE and then pull the OS you needed, you need to do a little more reading about this, cause WDS is like the 2nd generation of RIS, RIS in the other hand will also install Windows 2003 Server but just the baseline install, you can also preconfigure it by including some automation such as answer file.

Regards