Options

SQL Server 2005

147147 Member Posts: 117
Is the MS Press book enough for me to pass exam 70-431? I'm already familiar, although I've always used MySQL and Access, not SQL Server. Also, my experience is strictly web related, not corporate. And I have a small amount of experience with VB programming in Access and other small projects.

The Amazon reviews don't mention the exam, just that it is a good reference for migrating and administering.
Fear is the absence of Faith.

Comments

• Options
    DMinDMin Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have hands-on experience with SQL Server 2005, the MS Press book might get you the rest of the way. If you know Access and MySQL well enough to read T-SQL, that'll help. I'd recommend finding some additional resources, though, and installing an instance or two for hands-on practice.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depending on how much you're looking to spend, I found the 70-431 CBTNuggets to be excellent supplemental material...a very worthy investment. Also, be sure to install the trial edition of SQL Server that comes with the MSPress book, since the exam has about 10 simulation scenarios. Familiarity with SSMS is an absolute must; this is not something usage of Access or mySQL will help you with.

Edit: Also, the Exam Cram does a good job for final preparation. It covers XML much better than the MSPress book does (MSPress covers so many things that are outside the exam objectives, ultimately confusing the hell out of you).
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    147147 Member Posts: 117
    Thanks for the information. I don't think I can afford the CBT nuggets videos since I'm doing this on my own and I don't see my wife buying me study materials for my birthday. :)

I'm planning on studying the material and playing around with the Express version and a couple database projects I'm working on now to prepare. I'm budgeting at least 3 months of time for studying before trying to sit for this one- especially since you're telling me that there are simulations on the exam.
    Fear is the absence of Faith.