Options

Question about BSCI and IPv6

c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
For the 642-901 exam, just how much do I need to know about IPv6? Do I need to to know it any better than I did for the CCNA, or is it still pretty much just the basics? The book I've got (Authorized Self-Study Guide from Cisco Press, author Diane Teare) seems to get pretty specific. Just wondering if I need to burn a couple hours of study time to memorize the nitty gritty on IPv6.
There is nothing that cannot be acheived.

Comments

• Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Implement IPv6.

* Describe IPv6 addressing operations. - proper notation, process in receiving an address, multicast addresses, header and packet information
    * Describe IPv6 interoperation with IPv4. - Dual stack, overlay, 6to4 tunnels
    * Describe, configure or verify OSPF routing with IPv6 addressing. - commands to setup ipv6 ospf, ospf versions
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd say learn the nitty gritty.

The CCNP exams go into a lot more detail on every subject. As other mebers have stated, CCNA is five miles wide one mile deep. CCNP exams are one mile wide five miles deep. Might as well learn it anyway. You never know when you are gonna need it. Go above and beyond the exam objectives. The objective should be to learn how to use the material for real rather than to just pass the exam.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117

The CCNP exams go into a lot more detail on every subject. As other mebers have stated, CCNA is five miles wide one mile deep. CCNP exams are one mile wide five miles deep. Might as well learn it anyway. You never know when you are gonna need it. Go above and beyond the exam objectives. The objective should be to learn how to use the material for real rather than to just pass the exam.

Good call. Especially now that I just found out my company will be moving to IPv6 sometime within the next year. :)
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    c0d3_w0lf wrote:

Good call. Especially now that I just found out my company will be moving to IPv6 sometime within the next year. :)

heh, time to find a new gig, you don't want to support that pig :)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    heh, time to find a new gig, you don't want to support that pig

Yep, IPv6 = headache!!!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If its a govt job you will have to know it, IPv6 will be the standard for them from now on.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I should elaborate on my statement, IPv6 isn't the problem it's many of the applications that businesses use that don't work corectly when IPv6 is implemented that cause the issues. I have worked with a few companies who were set on transitioning to IPv6 and 2 years later are still runnign dual stacks because they are waiting for their application vendors to fully support IPv6. Even Cisco gear doesn't fully support IPv6 as well as IPv4 when it comes to QoS, hardware switching and security.

We'll see how it all shakes out but IPv6 is good to know and it will be the protocol of the future.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess you could say we are being "hexed"? :Dicon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.