Hi

I want one of these for my living room icon_eek.gif

150 Inch Plasma

d2429344-a41e-458d-b20f-f78fbf8cf9cf.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    I think that is bigger than my entire living room. icon_eek.gif
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    While 1080p looks great on my 56", I think it would really get pixelated when taken that large and viewed from a relatively close distance. I'll be interested when they make one with Ultra High Definition. These large TVs are going to also have a hard time competing with projectors, as prices drop and quality increases.

For the time being, why don't you just pimp-out your home theater room:
    http://www.cepro.com/article/the_batcave_home_theater_room_by_dc_audio_video_systems
    http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/11/16/cool-stuff-star-trek-home-theater/
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    dynamik wrote:
    While 1080p looks great on my 56", I think it would really get pixelated when taken that large and viewed from a relatively close distance. I'll be interested when they make one with Ultra High Definition. These large TVs are going to also have a hard time competing with projectors, as prices drop and quality increases.

http://www.cepro.com/article/the_batcave_home_theater_room_by_dc_audio_video_systems

I have a 56" 1080p TV also, Samsung DLP by chance?
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    leefdaddy wrote:
    I have a 56" 1080p TV also, Samsung DLP by chance?

You know it ;)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    I want to play Call of Duty 4 and Madden NFL 2007 on that!

To add interest to its paltry 108" television, Sharp is offering a free booth babe with its set:

monster_picture_from_sharp.jpg
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

In the picture you can see on top that it says "advanced high definition". I assume that should cover the pixel stretching.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

I want one of these for my living room icon_eek.gif

150 Inch Plasma

d2429344-a41e-458d-b20f-f78fbf8cf9cf.jpg

The bear and water look more realistic than the guy and the background in that picture...
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    In the picture you can see on top that it says "advanced high definition". I assume that should cover the pixel stretching.

The point I was making was that if it was a 1080P display, the PPI on that set would be about a third of my TV. The difference would be fairly pronounced at close ranges (smaller TV having a crisper picture), but would become less noticeable as you move away.

It actually looks like this TV runs at 4096x2160 natively, which is 4x the resolution of 1080P.

I guess those 200+GB Blu-Ray discs might be needed sooner than we thought.

Here's more details for those interested: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/big-tv-watch/holy-crap-first-150inch-lifescreen-plasma-photos-341633.php
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    I want to play Call of Duty 4 and Madden NFL 2007 on that!

amen to that!!!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

This is what i wanna play wii tennis on icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

http://www.into-tech.co.uk/cool-kit/dallas-cowboys-buy-2241in-tv/

Lee H

I wonder if the Wii sensor bar could cover that whole screen?
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    This thread is giving me a complex! Now, I'm not so sure my 53 inch TV is big enough icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    This thread is giving me a complex! Now, I'm not so sure my 53 inch TV is big enough icon_sad.gif

I guess its time to upgrade my 32".........
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Talking about gaming on a big screen is fun, but have any of you actually tried it? I used to have a DLP projector that gave me around a 100" screen. I thought it would make things, such as sniping easier, however, I found out that my FPS ability absolutely tanked. There was so much that was outside of my field of view that I was constantly getting ambushed or sniped from some corner of the screen I wasn't focusing on. It's definitely a more realistic experience since you have to constantly be shifting your focus around, but it did get quite frustrating after awhile. Massive screens would probably be fun for something like Wii tennis, where all you have to do is track a tennis ball, but there are definite disadvantages with complex action games. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents before you all mortgaged your homes for that display :D
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm looking to buy a 52" Sony Bravia...anything less would be uncivilized :)

It's amazing how quickly HDTVs have gone down in price + increase in quality.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Yep...Samsung DLP for the win. Love it!! Love the Sony LCD too.

I agree with Dynamik about the lack of advantage from having a big screen when playing a FPS...you tend to focus on parts of the screen and miss some things or people sneaking up on you. I either back WAAAY up, or I just train myself to keep scanning my perimeter like real-life.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

Lee H

You know, for a couple bucks, you can pick up a cheap racket and some tennis balls....and go outside to the nearest school with courts and play ;) Just like being there :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

Lee H

You know, for a couple bucks, you can pick up a cheap racket and some tennis balls....and go outside to the nearest school with courts and play ;) Just like being there :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    You know, for a couple bucks, you can pick up a cheap racket and some tennis balls....and go outside to the nearest school with courts and play Just like being there

I think a man my age hanging round school tennis courts would be a bad idea icon_eek.gif

I was merely pointing out that current screen sizes can give you a life size version of the real thing

My Samsung PS42C7HDX 42" is a good size for my living room, if i bought a bigger screen i would need to move house icon_lol.gif

Lee H
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's ridiculous. Everyone here has at least a 42"...I know a guy who's upgrading from a 51" or something to like a 72" or some junk.....why...
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Im feeling inadequate now I still have an old bulky 28" icon_lol.gif

Only cost me £50 so I guess i can't grumble.......

[edit - just looking at prices here in UK, either I need to give up the kid, car and house or prices are cheaper in the US??)
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sie wrote:
    either I need to give up the kid, car and house or prices are cheaper in the US??)

People here just don't mind eating ramen noodles for 2 years to pay for their T.V's, that's all :)

I have a 28" in my room...like a 32" in my living room, but it's my roommates..
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah I have a 29 inch tube zenith TV. It is actually starting to die so I will have to buy a new one soon. icon_sad.gif

And to Planetwiz, the problem is getting that 2nd person out to the tennis courts. They always want to sit inside and play games. >_<
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Hi

Has anyone installed their TV to the wall, i have seen 2 ways that this is done

Either with a tilt or without, i am inclined to go with no tilt so i can maybe house the TV in a surrounding to make it flush with the wall, this would look so cool

Not sure if i will still get maximum viewing pleasure without the tilt

Has anyone seen both??

Lee H
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Plantwiz wrote:

Too many n00bs and the mute function doesn't work....

We got an Xbox360 for Xmas and as much as my wife loves that thing but hates our projector we had a blast hooking to 2 up and playing some co-op games on an 8ft display :).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Lee H wrote:
    You know, for a couple bucks, you can pick up a cheap racket and some tennis balls....and go outside to the nearest school with courts and play Just like being there

I think a man my age hanging round school tennis courts would be a bad idea icon_eek.gif

I was merely pointing out that current screen sizes can give you a life size version of the real thing

Just teasing you ;)

To Sie:
    I have a dying Zenith 32" ...beginning to get fuzzy in the corners and I found a site where I can access the real codes, but decided that I'll stick it downstairs for the kids and bring up the 27" to finish it's life out.

And for $20 I bought an RCA convertor. Just not intersted in spending a grand for a tv that we just don't watch...and shouldn't watch when we do.

To Mishra:
    You are correct, even here it is difficult to find a tennis partner.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

Has anyone installed their TV to the wall, i have seen 2 ways that this is done

Either with a tilt or without, i am inclined to go with no tilt so i can maybe house the TV in a surrounding to make it flush with the wall, this would look so cool

Not sure if i will still get maximum viewing pleasure without the tilt

Has anyone seen both??

Lee H

I've installed one that looks exactly like this but supports up to 50 in. Hands down the full motion is the best. It can tilt up/down/right/left, move side to side by 3ft in either direction and all this while extending outward or it call lay flush against the wall. Killer, no bad seat in the house, a little glare just move the tv. Punched a hole in the dry wall for coax and 110 plug which are both hidden from view. Absolutely love it and anyone who sees it compliments. One of things were you don't know how cool it is until you have one.

7041373_rb.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah..I had my Sony LCD mounted at first, but I had to many componenets to fit on any of the wall mount stands that I could find. I finally took it off, and placed it on a regular glass TV stand for it. Looks sexy either way.

As for the prices of big screens...have you walked into an electronics store lately?? Prices have dropped tremendously. YOu can get a 65 inch DLP for about 1300 bucks if you don't mind have "last generation" DLP set. DLP's are dropping in price and plasmas are definitely dropping in price...although I wouldn't recommend Plasma if you plan on gaming.
  • Options
    famosbrown wrote:

As for the prices of big screens...have you walked into an electronics store lately?? Prices have dropped tremendously. YOu can get a 65 inch DLP for about 1300 bucks if you don't mind have "last generation" DLP set. DLP's are dropping in price and plasmas are definitely dropping in price...although I wouldn't recommend Plasma if you plan on gaming.

Yes. And that's WAY too much for a tv. IMHO.

I can put gas in my car, keep my lights on and buy some groceries with that money. $1300 is a lot for something that hangs on a wall or sits on a stand and distracts from me enjoying life. I'll suffer through with my little tv's until they die. Then I may not even bother having after that point.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    famosbrown wrote:

Yes. And that's WAY too much for a tv. IMHO.

I can put gas in my car, keep my lights on and buy some groceries with that money. $1300 is a lot for something that hangs on a wall or sits on a stand and distracts from me enjoying life. I'll suffer through with my little tv's until they die. Then I may not even bother having after that point.

Yeah...I understand where you are coming from. It all depends on what you feel something is worth. When I first bought my first big screen, I really didn't have much time to enjoy it, so it was a waste. Now that I do, I couldn't be any happier. Seeing television sizes today that were 4000 dollars when I bought my DLP 2 years ago now be priced at 1000 dollars gives me the idea that televisions are cheap now. We all have our idea of what's worth it...for instance, I wouldn't waste any money on a IPOD because I just don't listen to music on the go like that. The only time I listen to music is in the car, and the radio is sufficient. Some people pay for different types of IPOD's, docks, skins, 99 cent per song, etc. Not a value to me at all, and to some, not that expensive. Just an example, but I totally agree with you on a financial responsibility level.