Windows Server 2008 podcast

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
If anyone needs information on what Windows Server 2008 is or does, you should listen to Episode 45 of Windows Weekly podcast. Paul Thurrott and Leo Laporte interview Ward Ralston, the group technical product manager for Windows Server 2008. There's lots of good information that Windows server people should find useful.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the update; I'm a few weeks behind with their show. What was your opinion of it? They usually shy away from the enterprise side of things.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    They are finally catching up on the server side of Windows. This show was especially interesting because it sounds like Server 2008 is becoming more like Linux servers (e.g., no GUI, bare-minimum services running by default, no .NET Framework support). I'm personally more interested in the future show they will do on Windows Home Server, which is based on Windows Server 2003 RC2 and not Server 2008.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interesting, I'll listen to them later. Itidiots.com also had a podcast on installing Server 2008.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Interesting, I'll watch them later. Itidiots.com also had a podcast on installing Server 2008.
    They're only podcasts, so you have to listen to them later. ;)

And the idiots.com feed is here. Windows Server 2008 is talked about in episodes 56 and 57. I'll have to watch those too.
    I said, "listen," so what do you mean. icon_lol.gif
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Regarding Server 2008, I've been testing it some over the past few weeks and have been very impressed. It feels like a tight operating system now; everything seems to be where it belongs. One of my colleagues swears it is the best operating system ever released and has placed it on all of his personal machines and test machines. I don't know if I would go that far quite yet.
    They have a new video on Core server.
    I'm really impressed with the Network Access Protection (NAP) feature of Windows Server 2008. It uses IPSec and 802.1X to monitor and control authentication and network host access. It can act as an internal firewall by enforcing policies on new devices connecting to your LAN (e.g., a vendor's laptop). It also as a Reporting-only Mode that simply monitor and reports on all network activity without taking any action. And to do all this you only need one Windows Server 2008 machine on your network.
    Spiffy. So maybe it has some IDS capabilities?

I think the desktop in Core server takes too long to load sometimes.