Options

Book for QoS

CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
Does Sybex have a study book for the QoS class/exam? The Cisco book for my class is actually titled CCNP ONT.

I like Sybex, but I wanted to make sure I'm looking for the right thing. I saw a book at Sybex's website about troubleshooting in their CCNP curriculum, but I didn't know if that was the same as the QoS topic. Thanks.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    For the professional level exams I'd suggest you stick to Cisco Press books. I've heard good things about the QoS Exam Certification Guide but haven't read it yet.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    For the professional level exams I'd suggest you stick to Cisco Press books. I've heard good things about the QoS Exam Certification Guide but haven't read it yet.

So what's the difference between that book and this one, do you think?

http://www.bradreese.com/images/ccnp-ont.jpg
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    Compare the exam objectives as each book is geared toward the exam.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The QoS exam certification guide is a good read, it is more than you need for the CCNP but has a lot of valuable insight into QoS. The topics in the ONT book are a subset of what's in the QoS exam certification guide.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    The QoS exam certification guide is a good read, it is more than you need for the CCNP but has a lot of valuable insight into QoS. The topics in the ONT book are a subset of what's in the QoS exam certification guide.

So would the ONT book sufficiently prepare you for one of the CCVP exams?
  • Options
    With enough hands on practice and supplemental materials from the Cisco website maybe, but there are quite a few topics that are skipped or just barely covered in the ONT vs what's on the QoS exam and the coverage ov voice is nowhere near enough for CVOICE. The ONT book is part of the CCNP path, I guess they're using it because it has *SOME* voice and *SOME* QoS but it not an in depth read for topic.
  • Options
    ONT for ONT exam (which is not a CCVP exam)

QoS for QoS exam (which is a CCVP Exam)

If you plan on taking the QoS exam you should get the QoS book as it is geared for the exam. Good luck!
  • Options
    ONT for ONT exam (which is not a CCVP exam)

QoS for QoS exam (which is a CCVP Exam)

If you plan on taking the QoS exam you should get the QoS book as it is geared for the exam. Good luck!

Good answer, good answer! Just what I was looking for.

Thanks. icon_wink.gif

Btw, does anyone know what the leters ONT stand for?
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ONT= Optimizing Converged Cisco Networks....go figure :Dicon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

ITdude wrote:

:D Haha! My thoughts exactly. I looked everywhere to see what those letters stood for. I didn't want to say anything for fear of being called dimwitted.
  • Options
    ITdude wrote:

:D Haha! My thoughts exactly. I looked everywhere to see what those letters stood for. I didn't want to say anything for fear of being called dimwitted.

Try here:

www.cisco.com/go/ccnp

Just a thought icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ya think? :D
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

I'd like to study for the ONT material without the QoS added in - it would just be extra study (that I don't need at the moment). I already have the Cisco ONT book, but is there another ONT book not published by Cisco Press, which would give me another point of view or different writing style?
  • Options
    Study for ONT without the QoS? If you check the exam objectives you will see the mojority of the material is QoS.

No offense but I think you are REALLY confused about what you need to learn. You are going for the CCVP right? You NEED the QoS for that certification. There is a whole QoS exam in the CCVP certification track. If you are going for CCVP ONT is not one of the exams. Myabe you should lay off the professional level certifications for a while until you get a handle of what you want to do and what you need to do to get there.