Approx. Time to Study for 70-291?

GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
I passed my 70-290 today and I would like to complete one more exam before the end of January.

I also want to take advantage of the Microsoft Second Shot Voucher that ends in January.

I am debating whether or not to attempt 70-291 or 70-270 (XP).

I could be probably do well on 70-270 but I am not too sure on 70-291.

At the same time I don't want to rush learning the material because I probably end of forgetting it.

My knowledge of 70-291 material is not well versed.

I would like to know what is the estimated time required to fully prepare for 70-291?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't worry about second shot if you're just getting started on new material. You have to make your first attempt as well as take the retake (if necessary) by the end of the month. 3 weeks is really going to be pushing it for either one.

How long did you take on 290? I'd say 291 will take 150-200% of that time, as a rough estimate.
  • GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    dynamik wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about second shot if you're just getting started on new material. You have to make your first attempt as well as take the retake (if necessary) by the end of the month. 3 weeks is really going to be pushing it for either one.

How long did you take on 290? I'd say 291 will take 150-200% of that time, as a rough estimate.

I have been studying 70-290 on and off.

It's only been the start of January 2008 that I pushed myself to get the 70-290 done.

I would like to know from people who has taken 70-291 what is the estimated time to prepare for the exam?
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are working fulltime 3 months, 70-291 is the biggest and most broad topic in the MCSE track.

Congrats on the pass and goodluck!
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    270 you could do this month, but I think 291 just has too much material if you don't have prior experience. I took 291 two weeks after I took 290, but I have 4 years experience with a 2003 network and a CCNA. Even so, it was two weeks of serious studying - including 2 entire weekends. No offense, but I just don't see someone without experience passing the test and retaining the material with 3 weeks of cramming. Take your time with 291 so that you really understand the concepts - the information is vital for 293, but can also apply to other areas such as a CCNA and, of course, your everyday job.

I am helping train some guys at work for a new position that requires an MCSA. We are on a 6 month deadline so they can have it completed in time for annual reviews. Here is the schedule:

270 - 1 month (team study)
    290 - 1 month
    291 - 2 months
    elective - 2 months (individual study)

I am teaching an informal class for a few hours a week on 290 and 291. None of them have much of a networking background, so 291 is proving to be a challenge. After a few years of general support and a little instruction, 270 and 290 weren't too much trouble for them though.

Congrats and good luck
  • Demon_HunterDemon_Hunter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    microsoft has extended the second shot to end of MAY!
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637

Do you have a link for that? I checked the MS site and they still show it expiring the end of January. Great news if it's true - I can use it on my Exchange exams.
  • GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210

No link. No proof. icon_confused.gif
  • AhhhyesAhhhyes Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gundamtdk

i think that im going to the do the same thing. im going to study and then take the exam on the 28th of jan with the second shot then have about 4 days, if i fail to, recover... you know

i think that we can do it to be honest

something to read + all the infomation on the site = a pass!!!

this is what i think ....

any wagers?????
    Failure to prepare is preparing to fail
  • DMinDMin Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took about 2 months to study for the 70-291, but it varies depending upon how much of the subject material you already know or have worked with and how good you are at reading and taking MS tests. If you really want to use your second shot, take the exam after cramming for a couple of weeks, then use what you learned from taking the exam to retake it again when you're ready.
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    for each microsoft test minimum 3 weeks max of 5 week peer test, no more even if you work full time job
  • ctguy527ctguy527 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Exam 70-291 is pretty difficult. I studied for an entire month - probably about 10 hours per week and I failed with a 566. What's upsetting is that Microsoft tests you on stuff that is not in outline of the exams - IE: WSUS. There were things that were never covered in my two study guides. I am going to study for a couple more weeks then try again. Good luck to all!