Options

Cannot Renew Ip address

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
Ive tried everything from a new cable, new nic card, a known good port on the router, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and i cant get the network to assign an ip address to my pc. Ive tried powering down the router and modem and also tried connecting directly to the modem, but no ip address. Any suggestions
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Does it work with a static address, what is your dhcp server, any other pcs on the network that CAN receive an address and work properly?
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    is there a DHCP service running? can u ping you ping your loopback address?
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    I have a d-link 4 port cable/dsl router that is already hooked up to my one desktop and is running fine. I use cablevision for my isp. I also tried using the known good port on the router and had no luck........help......
    "Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."
  • Options
    iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    Try what the above poster stated, ping 127.0.0.1 and see if it works. If not you'll know the NIC is the cause of the problem.
  • Options
    I already did that and was able to ping 127.0.0.1. No issues with binding of tcp/ip to nic. Do you think I should try to rest the winsock? I did everything possible........
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also, have you tried what leef suggested? Give your machine a static ip address and see if you can ping the gateway, access the internet, etc.
  • Options
    Try running this also... I've had good luck with it on weird TCP/IP problems...

Assuming you are running XP http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Basically it resets everything that has to do with networking.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    doomiedoomie Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What is model & manufacture of your network card ?

I've seen issues, especially with realtek Nics, where some cards cannot correctly auto negotiate both speed and duplex settings. Try forcing it to 10/half to start with, and work your way up to whatever works.

Hope this helps,

Martin
  • Options
    j938j938 Member Posts: 101
    If you just want to test if it is the NIC then if possible plug ethernet cable coming from the DSL cable to that host. IF it works then more than likely its not the the card if not

then like doomie said check those duplex settings and try to change them I've had problem with mines not working one time and then all sudden only doing 10 until of 100

You can also try to release the ip from the dlink router

power off router and dsl then power them back on wait til the dlink router gets the ip then try to renew if it doesnt automaticaly get the ip.

LET US KNOW IF THIS WORK
    Growth is limited.
  • Options
    I already have a computer connected to port 1 of the 4 port dsl/cable d-link wireless router and it has been working with no problems for over 3 months. Even my laptop works with the wireless end of the router. Here is what I have done so far:

new network cable
    reseated nic card in another pci slot
    updating drivers on nic
    new nic card
    known good port on the router
    uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers
    Ive tried powering down the router and modem
    tried connecting directly to the isp modem
  • Options
    dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    Have you tried flushing DNS?
    Sometimes we get this weird problem that can be solved by doing things again.. release-renew Ip Add, power-cycling the router, and check all cables and connections.

You can also try resetting (reset button if there's any - restore factory settings) the router if it still doesn't work.

Hope this helps.
    Focused and Steady.
  • Options
    j938j938 Member Posts: 101
    I already have a computer connected to port 1 of the 4 port dsl/cable d-link wireless router and it has been working with no problems for over 3 months. Even my laptop works with the wireless end of the router. Here is what I have done so far:

new network cable
    updating drivers on nic
    new nic card

Did you release the ip from the dlink before you connected it

I know back in my verizon dsl days I think that use to bond mac to whatever was connected on the cpe end to there end.

So you can connect fine with your laptop through ethernet?????

Who is your ISP?
    Growth is limited.
  • Options

new network cable
    updating drivers on nic
    new nic card

So you've tried nothing I've suggested... nice :)

Static ip? run the winsock fix... ? Do you know what you're doing? :)
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    I was just informing dps (see above comments) of what I have done so far. Once I get home tonight I will try your suggestion and let you know. Thanks for your help
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Is this machine running Windows? Is the DHCP Client service running?
  • Options
    It's running windows xp and it's set to obtain automatically. I tried the Winsock repair program and I still have the same issue, no ip address. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network componenets. I am about to reformat.......
  • Options
    I forgot to mention the dhcp client was running.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you tried a static IP yet? That will indicate whether it's a DHCP problem or something else.

Try booting into safe mode with networking. Maybe there is something starting that is preventing you from obtaining an IP address.

Is your DHCP server properly configured? Maybe its leases haven't expired, and it doesn't have any more IPs to lease.

Do you have a mis-configured firewall that is preventing dhcp traffic?

Are there any errors in the event log or device manager?

Have you install the latest service packs? Maybe try running sfc /scannow to check system files
  • Options
    jabb000jabb000 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do the following and tell me if it fixed your problem. The problem is that a piece of spyware got in a layer between your nice card and the internet or a piece of spyware was removed incorrectly.

Windows XP-based computer
    Reinstall TCP/IP on a Windows XP-based computer
    In Windows XP, the TCP/IP stack is a core component of the operating system. Therefore, you cannot remove TCP/IP in Windows XP.
    1. Install TCP/IP on top of itself. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
    b. Click Install.
    c. Click Protocol, and then click Add.
    d. Click Have Disk.
    e. In the Copy manufacturer's files from box, type System_Drive_Letter:\windows\inf, and then click OK.
    f. In the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.

2. Restart your computer.

You should be good to go now.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I ran into this issue once before when using a Belkin router at my house. The problem was that the Belkin router was handling DHCP, and the leases were set to never expire. Releasing/renewing the ipconfig settings didn't work, nothing would reset my IP address, short of reinstalling the OS. The real issue was that the computer wouldn't properly receive a new IP address when on another network, but would stubbornly keep the old one from the Belkin. What I ended up doing was hooking the machine back up to the Belkin router, going into the router config page and setting the DHCP lease from "Forever" to 4 hours. Once I did that, the IP address would release normally if I took the laptop to another network with a different subnet.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Seriously, try a static IP address.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    The static IP will work and all that does is prove that the NIC Card is working correctly.

I just fixed 3 laptops that had the same problem using my method.

If you blame the problem on a belkin router have the IP address lease to "NEVER" expire how did reinstalling the OS fix the problem?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jabb000 wrote:
    The static IP will work and all that does is prove that the NIC Card is working correctly.
    And that's good to know when troubleshooting. Fixing things like unplugged cables takes less time than other random fixes.

If the router is set to never expire leases -- how many addresses is it configured for, and how many are in use? Check that there are DHCP IP addresses available on the router and that you aren't the neighborhood P2P music download hub.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    aiight - hopefully he comes back and tells us how he fixed it. LOL
  • Options
    Thanks jab000....your process worked. You Da man!!! I really appreciate all who responded. It was a great learning expereince for me

1. Install TCP/IP on top of itself. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
    b. Click Install.
    c. Click Protocol, and then click Add.
    d. Click Have Disk.
    e. In the Copy manufacturer's files from box, type System_Drive_Letter:\windows\inf, and then click OK.
    f. In the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.

2. Restart your computer.
  • Options
    Hmmm - Just what I said. Giving it a static IP will not fix it but only tell you if the NIC card is working correctly and will not solve the problem because it will not try to acquire an IP when it has a static IP assigned. Reinstalling the OS because you router never gives up the lease will not fi xit because the router is still set to "NEVER" expire.

I just fixed 3 laptops with the same exact problem last week.

It was spyware that was incorrectly removed on not removed completely.

Guys I am only kidding. I don't want all kinds of hate mail or anything. This was a great learning experience for a lot of people. My only comment is please don't try to tell people what to do if you are not sure yourself.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    The problem was that the Belkin router was handling DHCP, and the leases were set to never expire. Releasing/renewing the ipconfig settings didn't work, nothing would reset my IP address, short of reinstalling the OS. The real issue was that the computer wouldn't properly receive a new IP address when on another network, but would stubbornly keep the old one from the Belkin.
    You can use the Windows Registry Editor (regedit.exe) to remove all occurrences of the interface's IP address from the TCP stack sections of the registry. When Windows boots, it won't have an IP address to request from the DHCP pool, so it will take whatever IP address the DHCP server gives it. I use this technique to change my machine's address on a DHCP LAN when one of my high-spirited co-workers is DOSing me as a joke.
  • Options
    JD - I tried that method and it does not work. The problem is the spyware.

Guys - I know I don't have certs listed but please believe me on this one. I have fixed this problem recently and the first time I fixed it it took me about 2 weeks to figure out what was going on.
  • Options
    jabb000 wrote:
    JD - I tried this method and it does not work. The problem is the spyware.
    The problem seems to be the method used to remove the Spyware, which discarded part of your TCP/IP stack with it.
  • Options
    And I said incorrectly removed spyware.

ok JD i give in to you buddy - you are right - all of a sudden you know exactly what the problem is when you couldn't help him fix it. :P

JD - you know i am only messing with you buddy.