Options

Cannot Renew Ip address

2»

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    jabb000 wrote:
    And I said incorrectly removed spyware.

ok JD i give to you buddy - you are right - all of a sudden you know exactly what the problem is when you couldn't help him fix it. :P
    I never made a suggestion to telecomops101 on how to fix his problem. My comment was to Slowhand on fixing the similar issue that he had.
  • Options
    jabb000jabb000 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmmm - what was this and slowhand never posted yet.

Is this machine running Windows? Is the DHCP Client service running?

Calm down buddy I am only messing around. God

I was just trying to have a little fun on a Friday night.

I PM'ed you about it also.

I am totally sorry if I offended anyone or hurt anyways ego. This was all in good fun. Where I am at we have fun like this so sorry. Maybe I will list a few on my certs.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hasn't there been a program out there since Win95 days to fix winsock problems caused by spyware, and it's removal?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    Hasn't there been a program out there since Win95 days to fix winsock problems caused by spyware, and it's removal?
    Oh yes. I've fixed many-a-Windows 9x machine that's had its Winsock files chomped by Malware or a repair tool. But Windows 2K/XP/Vista have a self-repair feature that reinstalls networking components and removes the need for a separate re-installation utility.
  • Options
    Mikej - yes it has but it does not work.

Someone had already posted a link to the winsock fix utility.
  • Options
    JD - yes we know it has its own self-repair utility but that does not work in this instance. Why did you not tell him to use it instead of asking if this machine was runnign windows and also if the DHCP service was running.

Like I said dude, I was only playing around on a Friday night. No hard feelings dude calm down. I said you were right.

All I was doing was trying to fix dudes problem for him and joke around.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    jabb000 wrote:
    If you blame the problem on a belkin router have the IP address lease to "NEVER" expire how did reinstalling the OS fix the problem?
    In the case of the Belkin router leasing out an IP set to never expire, it wasn't until the same DHCP server (the router) revoked that lease that the machine could obtain a new address from another DHCP server, or even through APIPA. When you blow away the OS and reinstall it, there won't be an IP address leased to it to begin with and the machine can make a fresh broadcast for a new address. The issue was more of a problem when I discovered that I couldn't obtain IP addresses on other networks than my own, so I eventually traced it back to the router and set the IP lease time to something shorter than eternity.
    JDMurray wrote:
    You can use the Windows Registry Editor (regedit.exe) to remove all occurrences of the interface's IP address from the TCP stack sections of the registry. When Windows boots, it won't have an IP address to request from the DHCP pool, so it will take whatever IP address the DHCP server gives it. I use this technique to change my machine's address on a DHCP LAN when one of my high-spirited co-workers is DOSing me as a joke.
    That's good to know. I can do that in the future. Of course, the Belkin incident happened a few years back, and I'd probably have been too scared to mess with the registry at that point, to try. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Weel why not just remove the NIC card and reboot. There will not be an IP assigned to it to begin with.

open up machine
    remove NIC card
    start machine...........no NIC so no IP
    turn off machine
    install NIC
    reboot
    machine will install the device and assign an IP........

this wil be a brand new IP because there was none previously assigned.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jabb000 wrote:
    Weel why not just remove the NIC card and reboot. There will not be an IP assigned to it to begin with.

open up machine
    remove NIC card
    start machine...........no NIC so no IP
    turn off machine
    install NIC
    reboot
    machine will install the device and assign an IP........

this wil be a brand new IP because there was none previously assigned.

Because my grandma can do that. I want an excuse to dabble in the registry. It's not fun unless there's a risk of seriously damaging my system :D
  • Options
    iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    Guys - I know I don't have certs listed but please believe me on this one

Then why do you have them in your profile?
  • Options
    iowatech wrote:
    Guys - I know I don't have certs listed but please believe me on this one

Then why do you have them in your profile?
    People, let this thread be a lesson to you all: computers, alcohol, and being alone on a Friday night do not mix. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    JDMurray wrote:
    People, let this thread be a lesson to you all: computers, alcohol, and being alone on a Friday night do not mix. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Damn right. That's why I save my drinking for Monday mornings.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    dy - LOL LMAO OK very good reason

io - I added them after I said that - thank you very much - you are very intelligent fo sur snizzle my dizzle

JD - I was not drinking alcohol and i was not alone but yes it was friday night
  • Options
    iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    Yeah I am, because I know you're lying.

You couldn't even figure out how to take ownership of a hard drive.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=157315#157315

But yes!! You have all those qualifications over the past few months to make up for it right!?