Options

Cisco Virtual Network Simulators

aaronjaaronj Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Do you guys know of a good simulator that I could buy? Buying my own routers and switches atm isn't very feasible for me atm and I heard good things about these simulators for CCNA studies.

Comments

• Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    aaronj wrote:
    Do you guys know of a good simulator that I could buy? Buying my own routers and switches atm isn't very feasible for me atm and I heard good things about these simulators for CCNA studies.

aaronj,

Do you have a Cisco Networking Academy near you?
  • Options
    elvantelvant Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For me, Dynagen/Dynamips is the best simulator, routersim will be second best, then Boson. Each has pros and cons.

Dynagen use real router IOS but lack switch emulation.
    Boson and routersim lack some functions, routersim do well in device layout especially when you hook up a dozen or more devices together. routersim still list down the every available function when you do 'show' even though not all of them are supported in the sim. Boson just dont show the functions that are not supported. (based on v5)

Using Boson and Routersim might give you a false sense on how the device suppose to respond because they only simulate a portion of a real device. Keep that in mind.

My lab strategy, Dynagen (router) + routersim (switch)
    What is done is done, what yet to be done will be done. While in the process of doing, enjoy it.
  • Options
    aaronjaaronj Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    aaronj wrote:

aaronj,

Do you have a Cisco Networking Academy near you?

I'm looking now to see if I have one in town, I believe the community college has this.