What setup are people using ?

docspawndocspawn Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Until now i have been using a AMD XP 2400 running 2.5Gb Ram, it was still
a bit slow for 1 DC and 2 XP clients. I have been reading that at least 2 DC's
(or maybe 3) will be required !
I think i'll need to upgrade but will i need to get a Core Duo Intel and bags of
high speed ram ? Oh by the way i'm running Windows Vitual PC 2007.

Thanks for any ones thoughts

D.S.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My most complex setup was four 2003 servers and two xp clients. I went above and beyond with a couple of the exercises, and I just wanted to play around a bit. I gave the servers 192mb of ram and the clients 128mb, which brought the grand total to 1gb for my virtual machines. My cpu is an e6600 core2duo, but you really shouldn't need too much cpu power. It might help the machines load faster, but once you're up and running, you're just going to be playing with one console at a time or doing minor tasks like dns zone transfers, etc.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would think 2 servers and 1 XP client would be sufficent. Anything else would be good but not required in my opinion anyway.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    sthomas wrote:
    I would think 2 servers and 1 XP client would be sufficent. Anything else would be good but not required in my opinion anyway.

+1

And I would also add that for many lab setups I was running only the 2 dc's or a dc and a client.
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • DMinDMin Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had three Server 2003 virtual machines. They varied from 2 DCs and one client to 1 DC, one RRAS server and one WSUS server or IAS server with DHCP running on it.
  • w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    With your hardware, I would do a base install of Windows Server 2003 R2 - Standard,
    and then install VMWare server. You should be able to host 4 or 5 virtual servers with the
    RAM that you have installed.

I'm currently running 3 boxes w/ a little over 1GB on each, hosting 3 or 4 virtual servers each.
  • docspawndocspawn Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, i'll try reloading Server 2003 first then run VS. with another DC and
    1 XP client. Cheers for now D.S.