Options

CCNA in 3 months?

aidysprouleaidysproule Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
If i started studying at the beginning of february for 3 months is it possible to be able to get the CCNA?

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could probably do it in 3 days if you used **** but I don't condone that. 3 months? Depends on lots of things but yes it's doable for some people. Depends on your availability to study, what you expect to gain from the certification process and prior knowledge and experience.
  • Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    Turgon wrote:
    You could probably do it in 3 days if you used **** but I don't condone that.

Dont give anyone any ideas or anything... =P jk icon_lol.gif
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Turgon wrote:
    You could probably do it in 3 days if you used **** but I don't condone that. 3 months? Depends on lots of things but yes it's doable for some people. Depends on your availability to study, what you expect to gain from the certification process and prior knowledge and experience.

+1
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's a valid point though. If you just rush through it, you might be able to pass, but you're not going to learn the material. You'll ultimately be left in a situation that's similar to the cheaters.

How hard are you willing to work? Are you going to study 30 minutes or 3 hours per day? What's your prior experience?
  • Options
    maryamomaryamo Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello everybody,
    The question is someone else's but I wonder if that really makes sense..
    Im a 4th year Electrical Engineering, with not much networking background.
    I am planing to take one semester off and study for it full-time. means around 8 hours of concrete studying everyday.
    Do you guys see it possible to get the certificate in 3 months?
    Thanks,

Maryam
  • Options
    I forgot to say I have 7 months work experience working at Cisco, but it was more parsing CLIs, writing tools and so on..
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's a really intense study marathon. You'll be spending more time studying in 2-3 days than most of us can do in a week. There are many factors you need to take into account, such as training materials, study methods, access to equipment, etc., but generally speaking, I don't think you'll have any problem finishing it in three months. It wouldn't surprise me if you found yourself fully prepared ahead of that deadline.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    If i started studying at the beginning of february for 3 months is it possible to be able to get the CCNA?

aidysproule,

What is your background?
  • Options
    thanks for the reply. I am trying to get as much study material as I can.. I need to make a list of the things I have to learn,, and do them one by one, and be master in it. The only part that I am not too sure about is "equipments" I will need.. I have access to nothing. I try to find a CCNA lab software,,, I dont know how useful it is..

Thanks for the reply.. :)
    wish me luck.
  • Options
    c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    To give you a take on how I did it...I was studying off and on on my own for the CCNA for about a year, but not a very in depth study. I basically just read the Cisco Press books for the 801 exam. Then, when I started going to TechSkills, it took me one month to go through their self-paced CCNA course and pass the vendor exam. I didn't skip any of the material in the course either, but I did study A LOT. Not 8 hours a day, but close. So yes, the CCNA is very doable in 3 months if you have the right situation.
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    It is doable, depending on how motivated you are. I decided I was going to pass the CCNA when there was only 40 days left before they retired the older version of the test. I did intense studying, approx 200 hours in a 30 day period and passed the exam on my first shot. I used several sources of information for my studies and had a home lab for the practical experience.

Good luck.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    lnsomnialnsomnia Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been studying since December 15th, usually 3-4 hours a night and up to 8 hours per day on the weekends. I plan on taking my test next week. We'll see how I do :P

I worked for 4 months in my companies networking department so it really did help me familiarize myself with switches and routers.
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389

If you study eight hours a day, every day - you might be able to pass it. I hope you have your own equipment to work with, or some to use. I would also use multiple sources of information, as no one source will really cover it all. This said, it would still be a challenge. It's a lot of material to learn, and I don't know that it can be done in 3 months. However, if you can get it done, more power to ya. :D

Good luck!
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    It really depends on many many factors, learning ability, how hard You study, previous experience and background...
    But I can say for me, I took my CCNA in about 7 months, I don't had a great experience with CISCO, but a sufficient background that allowed me to skip some topic (the first at all), more I have study times much variable, I alternate days in which my head is bent on the book until 7-8 hours and days that I am very lazy, however if You don't consider July and August in which the heat in the place I dress has been very strong (too much to do something good :) ), I can say I obtained my CCNA in about 5 months. If You study very hard for all 3 months I think You can get it.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.
  • Options
    afelumoafelumo Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    miller811 wrote:
    It is doable, depending on how motivated you are. I decided I was going to pass the CCNA when there was only 40 days left before they retired the older version of the test. I did intense studying, approx 200 hours in a 30 day period and passed the exam on my first shot. I used several sources of information for my studies and had a home lab for the practical experience.

Good luck.

hi, i also want to write the CCNA exams by 29 february and am very motivated but the challenge am having is that i dont know the curricullum for the new version. if any body in the house can help get it or tell me where to get it. i have study materials (CYBEX 5th Edition )and could lay my hands on the CCNA labs too.
    be good at all times
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    I dont have much experience with networks. I have troubleshoot a couple wireless and worked maintaining a very small network in the family business (under window xp). I dont know how much time it will take but after reading the first chapter of the Sybex book (6th. edition), I think it will take me sometime. Currently i dont have a job, and I hope to be able to study at least 40hours/week. I started yesterday an i have a very good grasp of the first chapter.

If this book is as good as they say it is (in terms of the CCNA exam coverage) and things get more complicated i think the CCNA is definitely a certification that should talke about 300hours of study to most people, specially for the ones who dont haven any experience. My goal right now is to be able to do it in 8 weeks, because i have been doing absolutely nothing for a way too long period and im trying to catch up...
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    maryamo wrote:
    Hello everybody,
    The question is someone else's but I wonder if that really makes sense..
    Im a 4th year Electrical Engineering, with not much networking background.
    I am planing to take one semester off and study for it full-time. means around 8 hours of concrete studying everyday.
    Do you guys see it possible to get the certificate in 3 months?
    Thanks,

Maryam

Absolutely! If you're a 4th year electrical engineering student your study habits and knowledge retention are probably superb. Just make sure to get some hands-on, otherwise you'll lose the knowledge pretty quickly. You can buy some cheap equipment or rent a lab online pretty cheap.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    afelumo wrote:
    miller811 wrote:

Good luck.

hi, i also want to write the CCNA exams by 29 february and am very motivated but the challenge am having is that i dont know the curricullum for the new version. if any body in the house can help get it or tell me where to get it. i have study materials (CYBEX 5th Edition )and could lay my hands on the CCNA labs too.

I was really impressed with Chris Bryant's material. his material has been updated to include the new information.

http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283