Options

Sybex for newer CCNP material?

jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
Does anyone know when Sybex will be releasing material for the new CCNP objectives?
"Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."

Comments

• Options
    actually, any material for that matter? All I can find is the Cisco press and CBTs
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    After the CCNA, Cisco Press is usually the only source for books. And by the time you hit the Cisco Professional Level Certifications, the Documentation should be your second reading source.

In addition to the CBTs (CBT Nuggets and Trainsignal) there are the Bryant Advantage Study Guides which could used as an additional resource. While I'll joke about the infomercial feel of his web site, but I've never heard anyone say anything bad about his material. Actually, I've wondered if he's running a cult -- since most people who get his stuff seem to rave about it. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote:
    While I'll joke about the infomercial feel of his web site, but I've never heard anyone say anything bad about his material.

Tell me about it. I forgot how I came across his name, but all the positive things I heard about him really made me interested in his guides. His website was a huge turn-off. I felt like I was about to purchase flea-market Cisco training. I held of for a bit, did a bit more research, and I eventually bought his guide. I never got around to using it, so I emailed him when the new exams were released. He told me he had a new guide coming out soon, and that I'd get a free upgrade since I never used the original one. I emailed him again when it was released, and he gave me all the information. Both emails seemed like they actually came from him. He seems like a cool guy; I just wish he'd hire a web designer. My eyes don't even know what to focus on when I pull that page up. I can't imagine a clean site would hurt his sales too much.
  • Options
    there goes my 2 book and practice test method...
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also, don't forget the coveted "Routing TCP/IP Volume I, Second Edition" by Doyle. I'm using this sucker right now for the BSCI. GREAT GREAT SUPER GREAT BOOK! It really fills in some blanks when the other books fall short.

ISBN is 1-58705-202-4
  • Options
    Also, don't forget the coveted "Routing TCP/IP Volume I, Second Edition" by Doyle. I'm using this sucker right now for the BSCI. GREAT GREAT SUPER GREAT BOOK! It really fills in some blanks when the other books fall short.

ISBN is 1-58705-202-4

Thanks, I just bought it
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    I'm part of the chris bryant cult and I can say that its good material.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    blackninja/cisco_trooper ; thanks.... now i can grab those books :)
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sybex might put out a CCNP book at some point. They put out five books in 2004-2005 that covered CCNP. Nothing for the new material yet, but it no doubt takes some time and they don't have the head start on the material that Cisco has.
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    ok,

cage fight todd lammle vs. chris bryant

no weapons
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Aquabat wrote:
    ok,

cage fight todd lammle vs. chris bryant

no weapons

bryant would win but lammle would write a better book about the fight

:)
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Bryant is good for pre-exam review, his videos are anyways.

Never read his guides...could careless.

CiscoPress and Cisco Docs is all you should really need. Just remember that CiscoPress is ok, but there are other non Cisco books released that do a much better job, and usually include cisco config commands to show the practical.

My only problem with most of Cisco documentation is that it's focused towards configuration, making any idiot able to configure an ASA. If you read the ASA doc all you need to do is copy and paste the config and everything works (same goes with ADSM).... My belief is this will kill the industry we love.

Books such as TCP/IP and LAN Switching are the only books I've read so far that cover the theory quite well. I enjoy the books where the book not only covers "this is how it works" but also includes the "why"....Books such as "OSPF : Anatomy of a Routing Protocol" by John Moy (inventor of OSPF) is my kind of writing style.

Problem with most people today in this industry just want to learn the commands, and couldn't give a **** about the theory. I respect people more if they understand the theory, it shows they spent the time to educate themselves on the topic. EDUCATION IS KEY!
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Humper wrote:
    My only problem with most of Cisco documentation is that it's focused towards configuration, making any idiot able to configure an ASA. If you read the ASA doc all you need to do is copy and paste the config and everything works (same goes with ADSM).... My belief is this will kill the industry we love.

I don't really think this will kill the industry. The idiot has to know what is relevant and has to know his end goal. And even bigger than that, he/she has to UNDERSTAND the impact those configurations make on the rest of the network.... While it can look like a cut and paste job, someone doing this will surely kill a network, especially if there is any complexity to that network whatsoever.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not all of the Cisco documentation is configuration guides. They have technology guides as well. Try Internetworking Technology Handbook for example.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options

ISBN is 1-58705-202-4

great book!