Options

Robert Half assessment test

2»

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ah, give the lady a break. She was probably told she needed 3 placements by the end of the day or she'd be looking to place herself in a new job. That's how a lot of those placement agencies work, place people or else. That's how they get paid. Stress will make people do weird things, like the RHI guy that called me at 6:00 am to offer me a position as a maintenance person for $15.00/hour. After I told him politely I was not interested we hung up, he then called back 5 minutes later to ask if I knew anyone who was... icon_evil.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dtlokee wrote:
    Ah, give the lady a break. She was probably told she needed 3 placements by the end of the day or she'd be looking to place herself in a new job. That's how a lot of those placement agencies work, place people or else. That's how they get paid. Stress will make people do weird things, like the RHI guy that called me at 6:00 am to offer me a position as a maintenance person for $15.00/hour. After I told him politely I was not interested we hung up, he then called back 5 minutes later to ask if I knew anyone who was... icon_evil.gif

Yeah, some of those places are horrible places to work.

I've always attracted more flies with honey than with vinegar.....her arrogance and tone with me indicated that she hadn't learned this lesson yet. I'm always happy to help such people out by pointing out their lack of common sense. As you've said above, it's almost an afterthought for these people who you might know (e.g., maybe I know someone that needs a job immediately; or, even worse for them, perhaps I have a customer that is considering engaging RH, and is asking my opinion of them...)

The guy yesterday (not from RH), was totally clueless, but was polite and respectful. Being polite and respectful with someone that you're contacting ad-hoc about work deserves the same in return.

I still can't figure out where they came up with the rate of $xx.63....that's puzzling.

MS
  • Options
    Magnum2544Magnum2544 Member Posts: 103
    So I actually have an interview there on Friday at the Akron, Ohio location. I've heard some mixed opinions about RHT, some people who are in the IT field say they are very reliable and do great work while others are unsure.

Guess I will find out Friday...

BRING ON THE TEST! haha
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Magnum2544 wrote:
    So I actually have an interview there on Friday at the Akron, Ohio location. I've heard some mixed opinions about RHT, some people who are in the IT field say they are very reliable and do great work while others are unsure.

Guess I will find out Friday...

BRING ON THE TEST! haha

I have a good friend whose wife was placed by them in accounting temporary jobs. She has nothing but positive things to say about them...

MS
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I got contacted by RHT last week again (they pester me on and off) and the guy told me he had a few jobs that he thinks would interest me so he (eventually) sends me an e-mail with a couple job descriptions. So I tell him that hey this one here looks like it would be a good fit so then he replies that he needs me to come in and take a skills assessment because he can't really tell from my resume what I would be a good fit for not. I'm debating whether I should go take this assessment or not but what I wonder is why can't he figure out whether I'm a good fit from my resume? Plenty of other employers figure these things out by resumes and then they follow up with interviews to fill in their knowledge gaps. I'm just getting a very bad vibe about all of this so I'm beginning to think that going for this skills assessment would be a waste of my time.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    Took their assessment tests a couple of weeks ago, one was a windows 2003 and the other was
    network admin. The windows 2003 had a lot of Novell questions, both tests seemed out of date.
    Thought I did poorly on the 2003 because of all of the Novell questions, guy tells me I scored above the average of all the people who took it the past 90 days. Guess you can make up any kind of criteria to make it sound good, based on other people's postings about them I'm not surprised I haven't heard back from him even if he did say he thought the interview went well.
    He also claimed the network admin test had a lot of linux on it, got one question pertaining to linux.
  • Options
    MikeHill80MikeHill80 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a problem lying when I talk to people. I cannot do it at all and I believe this is my downfall. I cannot accept that in the years I have studied computers and working with them mostly personally but a little bit professionally that I am the only one that has no experience or talent out there.

I am going to be going for Database Certs and Security Certs next. However, I am finding it hard to find jobs as an intern or entry level. I am getting older and still have not broken into the field; any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

In either case I am going into the city on Monday to meet with RHT. I know after reading some of these stories I may be in for an upset anyway but I am desperate as I am 30 years old and for almost 4 years now have had a problem getting into the field.

Any suggestions please?

Mike
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I took their test and was above their international average. I talked and talked and talked to this lady and finallly she got me a **** job. She said I had to show them how I could perform and got me a laptop refresh job which I would finish in 2 hours time and then had to sit around for 6 hours a day doing nothing. I was bored out of my f#@#@ mind for months. It was decent pay though. After that I never heard back from them. I emailed and called many times but was just ignored. I filled out the feedback form and put all negatives and got a call the next day getting thanked. When I post my resume online I put RHT need not call.

Awesome! RHT need not call!
  • Options
    CountryboiCountryboi Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    man I took their placement test before i think it was like desktop and help desk or something man it was crap and out of date......I bombed it but i really was not ready for a test with BSoD error messages....it didnt stop them from getting me a interview and not calling me after i didnt get the job.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Countryboi wrote: »
    man I took their placement test before i think it was like desktop and help desk or something man it was crap and out of date......I bombed it but i really was not ready for a test with BSoD error messages....it didnt stop them from getting me a interview and not calling me after i didnt get the job.

I took their test a few years ago. I remember it had like IRQ settings on there and stuff. I told the proctor, I'd never had to set one. There was also some NT4 stuff on there as well. I was like this is total BS. I'd only ever used 2k3 and WinXP at the time. I still ended up getting a job but I vowed never to do that test again.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    I took their test a few years ago. I remember it had like IRQ settings on there and stuff. I told the proctor, I'd never had to set one. There was also some NT4 stuff on there as well. I was like this is total BS. I'd only ever used 2k3 and WinXP at the time. I still ended up getting a job but I vowed never to do that test again.

NT4? BWAHAHAHAHAHA
    IRQ settings HAHAHA

2000 is the oldest platform I supported. I use to work on machines with NT when I wasn't in Information Technology, but that feels like years ago.
  • Options
    Mikdilly wrote: »
    Curious if anyone has ever left a full time job for a contract to hire position thru someone like RHI or Manpower. Did they regret it or feel it was a good move? I currently have something full time and just interviewed with RHI, took their assessment tests and was told I was above the avg of those that took it in the last 90 days, sounded like a crock.

From your brief description it does sound like a crock.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    KGhaleon wrote: »
    What about Tek Systems? I've interviewed there two or three times and never heard back from them. I got another call from them a while ago and they want me to hop a commuter down to their office at 9:30AM tomorrow for an interview...I really need a job, so I'm feeling pretty crappy about going over there. icon_redface.gif

I've gotten 3 jobs from Tek Systems over the years and the experience was always good. It all depends on who you deal with.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    smg1138smg1138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had a horrible experience with Robert Half a few years ago. I had a permanent job at a university at the time which was super stable, but didn't pay great. I came very close to taking a contract job with Robert Half, but backed out on it at the last minute and the recruiter flipped out on me. She sent me a bunch of nasty emails and acted like it was the end of the world or something. I found that funny considering how "contracts" can be terminated with no warning for the smallest reason, but if you decide to end it on your terms, they freak out. I know I made the right decision though. I've had nothing but bad experiences doing contract work and I'll never do another one again if I can help it. Recruiters are just no talent middlemen trying to make a profit off your skills. The whole contracting thing in IT is just a loophole to avoid giving IT workers any job security or benefits.
  • Options
    smg1138 wrote: »
    I had a horrible experience with Robert Half a few years ago. I had a permanent job at a university at the time which was super stable, but didn't pay great. I came very close to taking a contract job with Robert Half, but backed out on it at the last minute and the recruiter flipped out on me. She sent me a bunch of nasty emails and acted like it was the end of the world or something. I found that funny considering how "contracts" can be terminated with no warning for the smallest reason, but if you decide to end it on your terms, they freak out. I know I made the right decision though. I've had nothing but bad experiences doing contract work and I'll never do another one again if I can help it. Recruiters are just no talent middlemen trying to make a profit off your skills. The whole contracting thing in IT is just a loophole to avoid giving IT workers any job security or benefits.

Or like management likes to put it. Try before you buy.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Assessment test: easy if you have any experience. Pace yourself and try to get to get as a high a score as you can, as some of those RHT people regard their internal exams more highly than industry certifications (go figure).

They don't pay well, usually, and prefer applicants who walk on water.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    90% of time recruiters are horrible. They post fake jobs or if anything might get you an interview then never contact you again. I think they have to meet quotas by getting people to come in to sign paperwork. Ive done it before and it never turns out to be anything. They are just glorified sales people.

If IT people would stop taking contract jobs through recruiting agencies that steal half your money then life would be easier. You don't get doctors or lawyers vying for contract jobs through recruiting agencies do you? And yes IT people can make as much as them so that's not the issue. Also say company A wants to pay $20 an hour but recruiting agency takes $5 and you get $15. Why not the company A just go straight to the source and pay $18 and it's a win win for everyone beside the stupid recruiters.

I hate recruiters.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree with that. I've had 1 recruiter call me twice basically asking what jobs I've interviewed with!!! The sorry SOB didn't even give me his contact info, the second time he called I just hung up on him.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    newguy45newguy45 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    don't even bother they will not call you
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mine was just an XP test, except it was several years out of date and focused heavily on BSOD error codes. I did the best I could and got 60 or 70% which the recruiter loved. Apparently the average score is in the 40s and 50s. "Based on my exceptional test score we should have no trouble finding you something."

3 months later, they sent me on 1 interview and were in the works of a second but a new manager was hired and decided to put the job on hold.

So if you are taking the same test, it sucks but at least the bar is set very low.
    Decide what to be and go be it.