Tips on 70-290

col24col24 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys

Booked 70-290 for the 4th febuary, Im getting good scores on the transender practise exams.

When I took 70-270 there was no simulation questions and I have heard that you get a few on this one. Does any body know how many Sims you get on this exam?

Also what are the sims like compare to configuring real time server?

Im not sure what to expect never done an exam with sims in before.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I typically get a few on each exam. Even though they're usually basic, it would be hard to get through them if you weren't familiar with the procedures. Do you have the MS Press book? If you work through all the exercises in that, you should be fine. The sims are in a simulated Windows environment that functions close to an actual Windows environment.

Here's a scenario I came up with off the top off my head: You have to create an OU, create a few users in that OU, add them to various groups, and assign them permissions on some files and folders.

It's all going to be on that level. You're not going to have to do anything crazy with the command-line or anything like that. Just go over the common tasks, such all the user/group activities, performance monitoring, backing up, etc.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I agree with dynamik, the sims are not too hard on this one. If you've got some solid hands on experience and completed a few practises, the sims shouldn't pose much of a problem. I certainly had more sims than I was expecting.

Make sure you read the questions thoroughly though, including the sim questions! It's easy to lose marks by missing little titbits of information or jumping to conclusions without reading it properly. You get plenty of time in this exam, so don't rush and take your time!

I used MS Press (excellent), CBT Nuggets (v.good) and have good experience, which definately helped.

Good luck.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • col24col24 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Guys

I have got the MS press book on 70-290 and have been reading it and practising the exercises.

Just was a little concerned one the nature of the sims for this exam but I am told this is the easiest Windows Server exam so I can imagiane the sims are going to be simplier then what you can exepect from exams like 291 etc.

Any suggestions on what areas to practise on more for this exam for what i have gathered so far that Permissions, Backup and terminal services are the most popular questions?

Also I have booked my exam through prometric and they said its a 4hr exam, seems quite a long time for this one?
    Practice everything. They probably have sims on all topics that are randomly selected from a pool anyway. Plus, you'll need to know how to perform those tasks in the real world anyway, so you might as well learn it now.

4 hours is long. I did mine in about 90 minutes. I don't go back and check things over though; second-guessing myself tends to do more harm than good.
  • col24col24 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I took the exam yesterday and passed with 785, It took me 1 hour 45 minites to do.
    I had 45 questions including 5 Sims, and like you said they were not to difficult.

Im so pleased I have passed now, as I can move on to the 70-291 but I have heard that it is a very hard exam to do!
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif

I'm finding that 291 isn't as difficult as much as it is simply an enormous amount of information. Subnetting takes a little practice to get the hang of, but it's really not hard once you understand why you do what you do. Same thing for DNS, RRAS, etc. There are simply dozens of settings and scenarios that you need to be aware of. If you take your time and go over everything, you won't have any problems. If you try to rush through it, you'll definitely miss out on a lot of little details that could cause a fail.