Options

Why not too many female in IT filed?

huddahudda Member Posts: 101
Thank you, for the advice the problem I had many places I had interviews everything goes smooth, however I did not hear after, it seems not too many female in this filed, one place I remember he said to me, "To tell you the truth you the first female I had interview for this position" What is that mean? is a Good thing or Bad thing. Why not too many female in this filed? It is making me frustrated...................

Thanks....
Hudda

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    The same reason you don't see men enrolling in women's studies...
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes it is a male dominated field but I don't think that is a liability for you as you might think. The case is not one of "we don't want women in IT" but more a case of "there aren't many women who want to be in IT". It was the same when I was an EE, not many women in the sho where I worked. Come to think of it when I was an electrician there weren't many women there either. Maybe it's me.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Personally for me.....if a person can do a job male/female black/white/yellow/green muslim/christian/seek......then what the hell doest it matter. There are far too many prejudice's in this world and very little common sense.

Good luck in the future and may you find your perfect job.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    dtlokee wrote:
    The case is not one of "we don't want women in IT" but more a case of "there aren't many women who want to be in IT."

Definately agree there. In fact, I think a lot of us would be quite happy to see an influx of females in our field. :D:D:D
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most female not at the tech position. They are more like system analyst (programmer) and helpdesk at the call center.

There are many female student going for Information Systems major in college, but IT field is big and not everything will be a technical guy.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    hudda wrote:
    Thank you, for the advice the problem I had many places I had interviews everything goes smooth, however I did not hear after, it seems not too many female in this filed, one place I remember he said to me, "To tell you the truth you the first female I had interview for this position" What is that mean? is a Good thing or Bad thing. Why not too many female in this filed? It is making me frustrated...................

Thanks....
    Hudda

Each individual is unique. Likewise, men and women have different interests and pursue dreams and careers based on their goals....or simply the situation they find themselves in.

You'd have to ask 'x' women why they don't like technology and study why 'y' men do. You'll likely find that a similar percentage of females who do like technology is close to the percentages of men who do not like technology.

If you enjoy it, pursue your goals. Gender isn't relevant to determine one's success or failure in IT.

Similarly you could ask why you don't see many men as elementary school teachers (there are likely and unfortunately, social issues that probably enter into play here, but there are very few in the early primer grades).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Guys are interested in computers, women are interested in cosmetics, there are some exceptions to the rule but not many.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    EdTheLad wrote:
    Guys are interested in computers, women are interested in cosmetics, there are some exceptions to the rule but not many.

Women are interested in cosmetics icon_rolleyes.gif

Nice comparison icon_confused.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I should be a fisherman. icon_cool.gif
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    The same reason you don't see men enrolling in women's studies...
    You're a pfffff

IT is male-dominated field. Women's studies is a female-dominated field. Why? Partly due to the fact that society places a stigma on each.

If you don't have the mental capacity to piece that together then you can eat your own words, PUMPKIN.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    PamelaDPamelaD Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It has always been the case that I am one of few women in IT, in various training classes, etc. I read through some of the other threads on the subject and I have to disagree with a lot of the statements that women who are incompetent in their IT positions aren't let go as a man would be. Maybe men don't see it in other men as much as they do in women. Maybe men LOOK for that happening with women because there is already a bias and question about a woman being in IT in the first place.

At my current employer of 14 years there are 3 of us who do all of the telecom support. One guy has been there a couple years more than me, the other maybe 5 years. Our former manager was a "good ol' boy" in his 60's and he hired the last guy. I really don't know how he holds onto his job. It is a constant issue that the "3" of us are working... really only 2 of us and the third wastes hours talking with anyone and everyone. He doesn't proactively do anything and has actually said, "oh, you want me to do it?" when it was something he should never have had to be told to do.

He gets by on BS. Examples that floored me: Several years after our new PABX was installed he called to ask me how to move a telephone from one desk to another. Are you kidding me? He was putting helpdesk tickets for phone work at the offices he covers into my queue. I asked the other tech if the guy was out out of the office or something and was that why I was getting the tickets? No... he doesn't know how to. It was simple things like create a vmail box.

I'm sure everyone has examples of men and women who can't or won't do the job they should be doing. Gender doesn't have anything to do with it. Stereotyping, bias and discrimination probably do have to do with others perception of one gender being treated differently than another.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pash wrote:
    Personally for me.....if a person can do a job male/female black/white/yellow/green muslim/christian/seek......then what the hell doest it matter. There are far too many prejudice's in this world and very little common sense.

Yeah but those yellow people aren't really good at configuring servers or switches... I would generally stay away.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    Pash wrote:

Yeah but those yellow people aren't really good at configuring servers or switches... I would generally stay away.

They are good at ripping them though and creating such brands as risco and wuniper.......but lets not go there though.

In all honesty we live in a prejudice world, im a big fat guy and I sometimes feel prejudice indirectly, my colleagues are mostly japanese and they see my size and strength as a comedy marvel....luckily I dont take it seriously! icon_lol.gif

I do my job to my best ability, i do overtime by the ton, never phone in sick, always on time and if i was a manager thats all id ever expect of my staff........obviously depending on position technical skills are important.

It's disheartening to see people basing decision on gender, age, looks etc I think a reform on the way people are recruited in all industries should be looked at and standardized. Some people arent right for some jobs correct........BUT that should only be based on lack of experience or skill in that area and for NO other reason.

Peace out,
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I been to MANY offices and in my area at least I see a lot of women in generally high ranking IT positions that know their stuff!
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    i know alot of women in IT field.
    it is just statistics that men are more employed.
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I see many women in IT sales, and software support/development. However, Ive yet to see a female net admin. It really doesn't matter though; as long as they are a good person and do their jobs the right way, you could have a kangaroo run IT for all I care!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    At the company I work all our technical recruiters that hire in house technical talent and for projects with clients are female. So this just shows that women are in IT field also just in different areas...

win2k4
  • Options
    CRussoCRusso Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are few women in IT. I've never met another women doing desktop support, server/network administration, or a woman who knew what IPSec was.

The reason there are few women in IT is NOT because "women love cosmetics," or that women simply aren't interested with computers. Many women are intimidated by the fact that its a male-dominated field.

My first employer pointed this out to me in the interview, "You're the only woman to ever be in this department."

Why aren't there many women in IT? Because a lot of people, even women, don't think women are fit for the IT field.

I passed CompTia Security + with 845, their A+ core/OS with 840/830 respectively, and the Microsoft MCP test with 810. I'm also Dell Warranty Parts and IC3 certified.

MSCE/MSCA and Network+ are next.

I have been working in the IT field since I was 16, my first job was a paid internship doing Desktop Support.

Don't ever let anyone make you think you aren't fit to work in the field you want to because of your gender. Yes, the glass ceiling is there, but it isn't impossible break.

GET CERTIFICATIONS, BE PROFESSIONAL

Most importantly,

WORK HARD AND NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF!
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    omfg lolz. Thats a pretty funny picture and is definately goin up at work (Annonymously obviously lol)

Schools are very dangerous places because they are mainly female dominated, lol i work in one i know!
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    I believe in general men are more interested in critical thinking/deduction based job while more women are more interested in language/social interaction type roles.

Now this isn't to say men are bad at social interaction or women lack logic based skills, and no this isn't the same for everyone, but I would argue in general this is what I've seen. Men and women are different and it's no shock that they prefer different things.
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    lnsomnialnsomnia Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It'd be nice to see more woman in IT, I need some eye candy!!!!
  • Options
    CRusso wrote:
    I've never met another women doing desktop support, server/network administration, or a woman who knew what IPSec was.

Do you live in a cave? icon_confused.gif

You'll find several women on this site (and other sites) who do know what IPSec is. Just ask.
    Many women are intimidated by the fact that its a male-dominated field.

...uh...yeah, that is it, they are intimated? Got some data to back that up?
    If you ask, you'll find they don't have an interest in it. Very few people I've met go into or avoid a career because the opposite gender out numbers them. If anything, it's a 'plus' to be the minority.

WORK HARD AND NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF!

Finally. I can agree.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    You'll find several women on this site (and other sites) who do know what IPSec is. Just ask.

I've always had a difficult time striking up conversations with women, but I think just found my new pickup line.
    Many women are intimidated by the fact that its a male-dominated field.

Have you seen some the men working in the IT industry? I don't think it's intimidation that's keeping them away.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    If anything, it's a 'plus' to be the minority.

No kidding. Oh how it would "suck" to be outnumbered 10:1 female:male......
  • Options
    nyashaCnyashaC Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hudda wrote:

Thanks....
    Hudda
    I have worked in a all male work environment.

The thing is if a workplace has a majority of males it makes it difficult for them to include the single female.
    WHY?
    - coz that means No more dirty jokes (Danger of workplace sexual harassment)
    - no more fishing out wedgies ,butt scratching and other disgusting habits that are acceptable in a male environment
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I actually wrote a 25+ page paper and gave a 20 minute speech on exactly this topic for my senior seminar class, before getting my BS.

If you're that interested, I wouldn't mind giving you a copy to read.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the reason men have the jobs is because they take care of their families with the income!
    but one day i want to marry me a sugar momma she can work IT and I can stay home and play my XBOX yeah! sugar momma where are you! crap give me poopeee diapers, shopping,
    washing dishes and washing clothes; and mopping floors adn making dinner for my sugar momma! man i cannnot wait! that is the life for me staying home and wtching my soaps! yeah!
    bring on the IT women! hahhhah LOl i could not resist....

bottom line if she can hang with us geeks she is alright with me...but most woman do not like
    logical things! they like other things!!!
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cisco_trooper

dude you kill me that would be terrible wouldnt it hahahaha 10:1 haahha
    pooor IT dudes! how aweful!

god i cannot wait!