Options

Why not too many female in IT filed?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,041 Admin
    /usr wrote:
    I actually wrote a 25+ page paper and gave a 20 minute speech on exactly this topic for my senior seminar class, before getting my BS.

If you're that interested, I wouldn't mind giving you a copy to read.
    Ah, maybe just an executive summary, plz. ;)
  • Options
    calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wow I think this thread basically answers its own question. Why are there not more women in IT? Because their stereotypes of nerdy guys that relate badly with women are reinforced. I have seen on several occasions when some guy shoots off his mouth in a very sexist manner right in front of female colleagues. Sometimes you are lucky and a senior manager or somesuch will call them out and point out their folly. Though whether this is out of conscience or exclusion of legal liability I cant say.
    Most of the time its the same locker room mentality that pervades many job environments.
    studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm female & I'm in IT ;)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

OMG RLY!? PM PICS PLZ!!!

(I think I just answered this thread's question)

I'm kidding of course. Welcome to the forums :D
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:

OMG RLY!? PM PICS PLZ!!!

(I think I just answered this thread's question)

I'm kidding of course. Welcome to the forums :D

n501111924_1389_2144.jpg
    On teh right.
  • Options
    pookerpooker Member Posts: 129 ■■□□□□□□□□
    im still curious what this "woman" creature is?
    I wanna be ccie
  • Options
    intelzeeintelzee Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you think its odd when a woman tryes to get a job somware in IT but when thay do thay are (most of the time) realy good at what thay do, and stick to task's. so if your a woman and would like to get some kind of job in IT GO FOR IT!!!
    look look!!!! its a train!!
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FadeToBright:

I hope you know what you just got yourself into; I assume you do.

Interesting name. You wouldn't be making a reference to a certain Metallica song would you?

Anyway, welcome to the forums. :)
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are women in IT, and more than people think. There is quite a few of them where I work and they know their stuff as well as any man does.

They don't seem to be as visible, because it seems like they aren't out doing field work or support roles, but more planning and analyst type roles.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think this thread has taught us all an important lesson: Asking a woman for pictures and then pretending not to actually be interested dramatically increases the likelihood of obtaining said pictures.
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    we have 4 women out of about 30 people
    two are mangers
    two are technical

both of the mangers are in their 50's
    one of the technical people goes back to our old wang computer
    she now does oracle
    the other is in her early 30's managing the hr system
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    intelzeeintelzee Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I think this thread has taught us all an important lesson: Asking a woman for pictures and then pretending not to actually be interested dramatically increases the likelihood of obtaining said pictures.

LOL thats funny....i think :)
    look look!!!! its a train!!
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

wow
    where were you in 95 when i first used the internets
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    FadeToBright:

Interesting name. You wouldn't be making a reference to a certain Metallica song would you?

ahh well, I'm used to it I assure you. No Metallica reference, although I do enjoy them. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    CabbageThe1CabbageThe1 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For those of us who know women in the IT field, most of them keep right on track and know what there doing even more so then some of us "geeks".

For example I know a woman who works for Novell, she is the IT manager of the Superlab there and boy does she know her stuff, so much so that its almost scary.

Its also an interest thing, there are women that are interested in IT, just like there are women interested in cars and construction. How many thimes have you seen a woman driving a **** truck, not very much but they're there.
    If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FadeToBright:

ahh well, I'm used to it I assure you. No Metallica reference, although I do enjoy them. icon_lol.gif

where were you in my teenage years? :D

still Love them BTW....up to 1991
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    Things i love to see, women and cocktails. Oh im sorry. Did i say that out loud. I'll get my coat. :P

n501111924_1389_2144.jpg
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    dynamik wrote:

Can you send more pictures.

Oh... right... yeah, I'm kidding... wink wink, nudge nudge, know what I mean? Know what I mean? Say no more!
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    darkuser wrote:
    we have 4 women out of about 30 people
    two are mangers
    two are technical

both of the mangers are in their 50's
    one of the technical people goes back to our old wang computer
    she now does oracle
    the other is in her early 30's managing the hr system

That reminds me. You walk into a company and begin counting their IT staff. There are 43 tech males and 22 tech females. How many techs are there altogether at this location? :)
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    snadam wrote:
    FadeToBright:

where were you in my teenage years? :D

still Love them BTW....up to 1991

Well I AM only 21. icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    CRusso wrote:
    I've never met another women doing desktop support, server/network administration, or a woman who knew what IPSec was.

Do you live in a cave? icon_confused.gif

You'll find several women on this site (and other sites) who do know what IPSec is. Just ask.
    Many women are intimidated by the fact that its a male-dominated field.

...uh...yeah, that is it, they are intimated? Got some data to back that up?
    If you ask, you'll find they don't have an interest in it. Very few people I've met go into or avoid a career because the opposite gender out numbers them. If anything, it's a 'plus' to be the minority.

WORK HARD AND NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF!

Finally. I can agree.

About five years ago I recruited for a network admin for our London site. Many of the candidates were men. I had no hesitation in giving the job to a woman as she was far and away the best candidate. While it's true that the field is male dominated there are some fine female contributors out there in the world of networking. Pricilla Oppenheimer, Radia Perlman and Laura Chappel spring to mind.
  • Options
    My IT dept consists of Me (female) , 2 males (coworker & manager), our database analyst is a woman as well. So it's pretty even. ;)
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    Found this link while surfing, might be of use for networking (of the social kind icon_wink.gif ).

Girl Geek Dinners.com