Options

Catalyst Express 500 Problems (slow)

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
Please don't make too much fun of me for having a pair of these switches. I got these over a year ago, and I was just looking for something reliable that might offer a little extra functionality if we needed it. They were just running a few Linksys consumer switches chained together, so I thought this would be at least somewhat of an improvement.

Anyway, these have never performed as well as I thought they should have, and recently, things have been extremely slow. For example, a 6mb file will copy to the file server at 250k/sec. Most of the users simply use web and email, and there's only a few of us that work with files of any substantial size. Most people never really notice a problem, but it's pretty obvious to us.

I'm just kind of stumped as to what the problem would be. Running the diagnostics shows that everything is normal, and all the port utilization is mostly at 0% (the highest I've ever seen is 7% on one port). Through the web interface (yes, I have no CLI skills), it takes about 3 minutes to change sections. Testing the connection between the server and my machine with a consumer switch shows dramatic improvement. Another odd thing is that only one of the two is performing slowly. I had the 30+ connections distributed evenly between the two switches, but I just moved the majority to the switch that was performing better. However, now that switch is the one that crawls. SDM is giving me absolutely nothing to go off of, so if anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated it.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Catalyst 500 Series Switches Troubleshooting
    Mentions both the slow GUI and Slow Throughput on Switchports -- probably worth a read.

Also double check your duplex settings. Some of the old switches had issues with autoconfiguration -- hardcoding both sides (switch & PC) for speed and duplex usually was "the fix."
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote:
    Catalyst 500 Series Switches Troubleshooting
    Mentions both the slow GUI and Slow Throughput on Switchports -- probably worth a read.

Also double check your duplex settings. Some of the old switches had issues with autoconfiguration -- hardcoding both sides (switch & PC) for speed and duplex usually was "the fix."

I actually just came across that link, and I'll check the duplex settings if I can't get it resolved. I appreciate you taking the time for such a menial issue, and I offer you my humble thanks bowing.gif