Options

Pix 501 vs Cisco 831 router?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey dudes!
what you guys think....between a pix 501 or a Cisco 831 Router/Firewall.

man I am liking the 831 much better with all that it can do and more users on inside local
covered. vs 10 on the pix 501...plus it has a standard IOS which I am used to vs a PIX IOS
weird IOS.haah thanks
what you guys think are the big differences or which better.thanks

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depending on what you're doing with them there can be a huge number of differences. First the PIX uses a stateful inspection engine that the 831 may not be using (depends on the config). The way I see it when comparing a router to a firewall, the router's primary job is to route packets and it's secondary job is security. The firewall's primary function is to provide security and it's secondary function is to route packets.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee

thanks you would know by your certs! and experience but the way they talk about the 831 looks very impressive even compared to 501 pix you know!?
    thanks but i wonder if there were any tests on this not sound like total dork. if 831 does have stateful inspection and all has lots of security features big time..and a normal IOS i am familar
    i guesss i am a wossy! haaha
    thanks big guy!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When it doubt, check the data sheets.

Cisco 830 Series Secure Broadband Routers

Cisco PIX 501 Security Appliance

The 830 seems like a tough guy.... but sometimes you want that secure feeling you can only get with both a belt and suspenders icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    The 830 seems like a tough guy.... but sometimes you want that secure feeling you can only get with both a belt and suspenders icon_lol.gif

Yes, you wouldn't want to be caught with your pants down! :Dicon_redface.gificon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

thanks you guys kll me that is really fun but i guess true;
    cisco just brags the 830 serious up big time and they built it you know
    ;D
    thanks so much!
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    def man. I like the asa 5505, that is my new baby nowadays. especially for like a soho. having like 2 switchport, inside, outside, dmz, and 2 poe
    i herd u leik mudkips lol