Options

2900 series switch

MG79MG79 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi There,

For my CCNA, is a 2900 series xl catalyst switch suffice for switching hardware? I know I will need a few, but just want to check these are up to date and suffice for a homelab?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Options
    yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A good link was posted earlier comparing this to the newer 2950 series switches:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/prod_bulletin09186a00800b3089.html
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • Options
    I'm just startin gout with this cisco stuff so not to savvy on the comparisons on that page

Is it possible to use the 2900 series, will this have the required features for the exam objectives or should I be looking at different switch?

Thanks
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should learn what features you will need and see if they are supported on the switch you are thinking about getting. Learning about the hardware is a good idea. You will learn a lot more if you reaserch it rather than just having someone tell you what to buy.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    MG79 wrote:
    I'm just startin gout with this cisco stuff so not to savvy on the comparisons on that page

Is it possible to use the 2900 series, will this have the required features for the exam objectives or should I be looking at different switch?

Thanks

I have a 2900xl en that helped me out for my ICND exam just to get the feel of a real switch and practice some of the commands I knew I would be tested on. I bought mine for about $75 shipped off of amazon of all places...but make sure it's an enterprise switch if you do buy it. :D
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    This is a good material to compare the "decent" 2900 series with the "better" 2950 which is much more suitable today.
    yukky wrote:
    A good link was posted earlier comparing this to the newer 2950 series switches:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/prod_bulletin09186a00800b3089.html

Follow the thread and the link I posted here:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25434

It will talk about some of the not so decent 2900 series switches, keep in mind that there's about 12 different switch in 2900 series where 3 or 4 of them share essentially the same name, BUT with very different capability.

Make sure you shop wisely and clarify the EXACT model number.

ps. no matter which 2900 series switch you get, please don't pay for more than $50USD before shipping, they are not worth nearly as much as the 2950 which generally run from $150 & up.

good luck.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the info.

I'll look more into this.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    make sure you get a 2900 series switch that will support a 12.x ios. i bought 3 2924C's that don't support... anythign icon_sad.gif
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685