Options

What the.... Question regarding my new Ebay'd router

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
So I bought a cisco router off of ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=320205251621&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

Got it yesterday, turned it on, powered it up. Everything seemed to be ok. Today I got a rollover cable and plugged it in, loaded up hyperterminal and powered up the router.

I'm not sure how far it got into the boot process, but it booted somewhat, and then just sat there. I checked out the router and tried to restart it and it won't even power up now.

Is this something I did? Considering it says in the auction "all sales final" do I have any recourse? It said new in box so I figured it would be fine.

If anyone could suggest anything I would really appreciate it.

BT

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can you post the part of the boot process it displays to the terminal?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    BigTone wrote:
    So I bought a cisco router off of ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=320205251621&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

Got it yesterday, turned it on, powered it up. Everything seemed to be ok. Today I got a rollover cable and plugged it in, loaded up hyperterminal and powered up the router.

I'm not sure how far it got into the boot process, but it booted somewhat, and then just sat there. I checked out the router and tried to restart it and it won't even power up now.

Is this something I did? Considering it says in the auction "all sales final" do I have any recourse? It said new in box so I figured it would be fine.

If anyone could suggest anything I would really appreciate it.

BT

BigTone,

On your computer, which port did you connect the rollover cable into?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If it's not powering up now, did you double check your power cord connections? Is anything else plugged into the outlet still powered up? Did you try a different known working power cable? Have you tried a different known working power outlet? (I've blown 2 physical outlets in the last 10 years :D).

Is the power switch on the router still giving you a solid movement and click like it did yesterday when it did power up?

If you're not getting power -- no fan & no eventual solid green power light -- you may want to open the case make sure the power supply connector didn't come lose from the system board during shipping. Does the On/Off switch look like its still connected properly?

If you're feeling lucky and have another working 2500 series router -- you may want swap power supplies to help troubleshoot and isolate the problem. But you might want to check with the seller first before you open it up. While it's wasn't DOA, if its dead now, the vendor might be willing to do something -- it never hurts to ask. But if they do stick with the "all sales final" -- then you have nothing to lose opening it up.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    Can you post the part of the boot process it displays to the terminal?

The part it "displayed" I don't have it anymore. It went up to part when it was talking about the memory

BigTone,

Serial port to an adapter on my laptop

MikeJ -> I've tried two different outlets. Haven't tried a different power cord yet, I can grab one from work. I opened it up and checked everything, and it looks like its connected tight. I wish the board on the router had a light like my CPU MOBO has... I'm pretty sure its not getting power though. I'm not getting any lights/fannage.
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□

BigTone,

Doesnt matter which port. If he got part of the output on his terminal monitor during bootup then that means he is connected correctly.

I would double check the power connections and thats it. At this point, if its not powering up, all you can do is send it back to the seller. You could get a new power supply, replace it, and see if that would do it but since its a 2501 and they are so cheap its more cost effective to just get a new one.

I would argue the fact with the seller that he said its New In Box... I think 2501s reached end of life back in 2002 so I doubt its "new in box" to begin with.

Musisz uwazac na eBay.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It would probably be a good learning experience if you payed to fix it (meaning bought a PSU) instead of trying to get a replacement. Think of it as a perk. ;)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    LOkrasa wrote:
    I would argue the fact with the seller that he said its New In Box... I think 2501s reached end of life back in 2002 so I doubt its "new in box" to begin with.

My first thoughts were the same. A bunch of Chinese GBIC's have made it to ebay and they all claim to NIB from Cisco. Most don't work but for maybe a couple of startups.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Did you purchase using paypal? If the product you purchased was not as it was described you should be able to dispute it. Even if the buyer says "All sales final" it does not mean they can sell you a product and send you a brick.

Here is what Paypal has to say;

13.1 Buyer Protection Programs. If you buy an item using PayPal and either do not receive the item or receive an item that you believe is Significantly Not as Described by the seller, we encourage you to open a Dispute with the seller in our Resolution Center. By doing so, you will initiate our Online Dispute Resolution Process—a step-by-step system designed to facilitate communication between you and the seller in order to get resolution of the issue. If your dialogue with the seller fails to produce a satisfactory result, you can then escalate the Dispute into a Claim that we will evaluate for reimbursement under one of the following programs:

PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy - Our best efforts program to reimburse Users for losses only to the extent we are able to recover the funds from sellers.
    PayPal Buyer Protection Policy - Our program to reimburse Users for losses for up to (i) $2,000.00 USD (Top Tier Coverage Amount) for eligible items purchased on eBay and (ii) up to $200.00 USD (Basic Tier Coverage Amount) for all other eligible items purchased on eBay and for eligible items purchased on eBay. Please see section 13.9 to determine whether Top Tier Coverage Amount or Basic Tier Coverage Amount applies to your eBay purchase.
    Buyer Protection for eBay Express - Our program to reimburse Users for the full amount of losses for items purchased on eBay Express.
    Extended Buyer Protection with PayPal Credit - Our program to reimburse Users for the full transactional amount of the items purchased using PayPal Credit.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    As cacharo stated... if it was supposed to be "new in box" and it wasn't then you can contest it.
  • Options
    I purchased with Paypal. I'm going to contact the seller now and see what kind of resolution he can give me.
  • Options
    dgbarrdgbarr Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    .... This is kind of what happened to me.. Except the router that i purchased is a totally different model and it powered on first time... then it just failed after rebooting it..

Still disputing it.. has been almost 2 weeks
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    LOkrasa wrote:

BigTone,

Doesnt matter which port. If he got part of the output on his terminal monitor during bootup then that means he is connected correctly.

LOkrasa,

If the rollover cable was plugged into the Ethernet/FastEthernet port instead of a Serial port, do you think that Hyperterminal is going to work properly?
  • Options
    LOkrasa wrote:

BigTone,

LOkrasa,

If the rollover cable was plugged into the Ethernet/FastEthernet port instead of a Serial port, do you think that Hyperterminal is going to work properly?

No, I dont think it will. What I meant was it is irrelevant which port he is in because he got part of the output via HyperTerminal which means he was plugged into the correct port. That means he MUST of been plugged into the console port because any other port would not work.