Options

MCTS 2008 exam route - some advice please - thanks

v-hiftikharv-hiftikhar Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys i have two question hoping i can get some guidance from here:

Question# 1 -
I was originalyl working towards my MCSE 2003.
I have completed two exams
70-270
70-290

My company now sent me on a windows 2008 course which i have completed. part of the course was an option to register for free vouchers to get certified but it is meant for people already mcse 2k3.

The voucher is only for 70--649 to bring people up to a MCTS 08

My concern is someone in my situation what would be the best couse of action with my goal being ceritifed on the latest technology i.e. 08 MCTS (i will work toward MCITS once i am MCTS)

i was thinking i should go on and write 70-649 which i HAVE to by End of Feb other wise voucher expire. then continue one by one for the rest of my mcse - that way the day i write my last mcse 2003 exam by default i will already be 2008 MCTS as well. - would you folks agree that is probably my only/best course of action?

Question # 2 can anyone suggest a good book that i can buy that will be suitable to prepare for the 70-649 exam - i am interested in exam specific content..i already have access to the MS:
Collection 6041: Upgrading Your Windows Server 2003 MCSE Technical Skills to Windows Server 2008 (Beta)

i appreciate everyones time.
thanks

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    i was thinking i should go on and write 70-649 which i HAVE to by End of Feb other wise voucher expire. then continue one by one for the rest of my mcse - that way the day i write my last mcse 2003 exam by default i will already be 2008 MCTS as well. - would you folks agree that is probably my only/best course of action?

You could give it a shot. It's meant as an upgrade to the 2003 MCSE, so you are going to have a difficult time if you're not familiar with that material. Since you have the voucher and the training, you might as well try it.
    Question # 2 can anyone suggest a good book that i can buy that will be suitable to prepare for the 70-649 exam - i am interested in exam specific content..i already have access to the MS:
    Collection 6041: Upgrading Your Windows Server 2003 MCSE Technical Skills to Windows Server 2008 (Beta)

No. It looks like everything is due out, March, May, and beyond. AFAIK, I think that's the soonest you're going to see something.
  • Options
    newbiextnewbiext Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    70-649 wouldnt give you the MCTS certs if you dont have MCSE 2003, though i believe it will show up on your transcript if you pass. There are no books atm so technet is your best friend (nice vids there too). As always i stand corrected.