BlackBerry (BES) book for beginner

LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anyone know of a good book they would recommend for BlackBerry stuff. I am trying to learn the very basics and build my way up to some more advanced stuff. Anyone know of a good book to get my feet wet, be a technical reference guide while I am at work, and help me in troubleshooting? I dont know if a cert exists for this stuff but let me know if you guys have any input. All help would be highly appreciated!

Comments

• d4nmfd4nmf Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I went onto the RIM (research in motion) website and they have walkthroughs on there, set my first BES server up using them piece of cake..
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    d4nmf wrote:
    I went onto the RIM (research in motion) website and they have walkthroughs on there, set my first BES server up using them piece of cake..

+1

though I cant recall if I used their walk-thru's for BES, in general thier documentation is REALLY good! Excellent place to start.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The better way is to look up the manual, then go to the blackberryforum website...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My new job on monday requires that I have knowledge of Blackberry technology, but I guess it wasn't a big deal and they took me in regardless. Is there somewhere where I can pickup on some common troubleshooting/configuration methods?

I looked this over:
    it.jhu.edu/email/blackberry/documents/troublshooting.pdf
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Blackberry's tech support is wonderful, fyi. I manage all telecommunications at my work and as of right now we use the Blackberry 7100i's (nextel icon_rolleyes.gif ) and they're nothing but problems. Dealing with Nextel sucks but Blackberry is awesome. icon_cool.gif
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    print out the documentation on the website. There are also a number of good forums that will help with problems when they come up. I usually find them using google.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • whistlerwhistler Member Posts: 108
    LOkrasa wrote:
    Does anyone know of a good book they would recommend for BlackBerry stuff. I am trying to learn the very basics and build my way up to some more advanced stuff. Anyone know of a good book to get my feet wet, be a technical reference guide while I am at work, and help me in troubleshooting? I dont know if a cert exists for this stuff but let me know if you guys have any input. All help would be highly appreciated!

To tell the truth I printed out the manuals from the CD and the books that came with the server install helped. Luckily, the users that use our Blackberry server don't use any of the more advanced features.

Once the server is installed and you have activated it with your provider it just works. I have setup to Blackberry servers, one replacing the other, and it is probably the easiest install I have ever done. Read and follow instructions steps in the manual.

The primary troubleshooting check is to make sure the user has the Wireless Radio turn on. Also if the device appears frozen or won't turn on have the user remove the battery for 30 seconds or so and then put it back in.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Forget buying a book on BES... Download their step-by-step install pdf.

Honestly, any monkey can operate it.

#1 rule. Make sure that the Exchange service packs match. Echange server and Bes server.
    #2 rule. Check your event log if you have issues.

Other than that its easy.

Create new user... Then set Activation password... Go to handheld and do Enterprise Activation.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?