Options

Passed this morning - suggestions for others

Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
Passed this morning with an 830 :D

Notes and suggestions for others pursuing this certification:

Remember that this exam is meant to provide a general overview of the objectives. Don't dig too deep when you're studying. Some of the available study materials out there explain everything inside and out and guarantee you a pass... but their logic is if they compile all possible knowledge about a topic and you learn every bit, then you'll be guaranteed to know all the basic stuff they have on the exam.

I used TestOut, Syngress' PDF, and the TechNotes here to study. I searched wikipedia and checked out the RFCs for anything I was curious about. I tried to play with anything related to the exam that I could - viewing website certificates was an easy way for me to remember what information was contained in them. Nessus, nmap/zenmap are freeware and fun to play around with. I also bookmarked a few websites like ha.ckers.org and microsoft.com/security to keep a security-related mindset going - it's actually pretty interesting stuff, and you can read a couple articles over breakfast.

TestOut was right on. It has been the best resource for me through A+, Net+, and now Sec+. But it's always a good idea to study a couple different sources.

Syngress I found I didn't like very much; I only read through a couple of their chapters. It's probably definitely worth the low cost for what it has to offer if you don't want to fork out for something like testout.

The notes here I thought were just about right on as well, while some information seemed a little in excess. Would be great to see them expand to encompass more of the test! Definitely appreciated having them as a reference, as well as the practice exams.

My next will be the CCNA, estimated for May of this year... I think I'll celebrate passing this by passing that :) (I know, I'm such a glutton)

Comments

• Options
    StevenFL02StevenFL02 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and thanks for the advice. I am taking it this coming monday.

Studying for the Security+ has been a unique experience. I have been taking a look at a lot of practice questions, and I feel I have a pretty good grasp of the topics. However, I am a little more worried about this exam than I was for my other CompTIA exams. I'm guessing this is due to the large variety of topics.

Anyways, good luck on your CCNA also. I am planning to take the ICND2 around the same time.
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    nice job :)
    MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3
  • Options
    msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    congrats!! Great score!
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    AhhhyesAhhhyes Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats great, congrats
    Failure to prepare is preparing to fail
  • Options