backup/compression solution suggestions

jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
I wanted to see if anyone knows of any software that will perform system backups(diffs,fulls,systemstate), and then will compress the file after it's done, even if the backed up file is on a remote system. We currently are using ntbackup to backup systems to a nas appliance. We have 4 scheduled task instances of 7zip running on the nas appliance that compress all the bkf files. The problem is that we are backing up around 1.8TB a night and 7zip isn't keeping up. We need an all in one solution. Any ideas?
"Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."

Comments

• RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What about Backup Exec (or some other backup software) to a LTO3 tape?
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know if you guys are familiar with Sungard, but we house our production side servers there. The system works like this for backups:

-We have all our servers back up (with ntbackup) to a NAS appliance that we own (7zip runs 24/7 compressing the bkf's).
    -SG then uses Tivoli Storage Manager to pull the backups (.zip's) off that server to their SAN.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    Anyone ?
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I don't know anyone who is honestly happy with their backup software. I babysit backupexec each week.

Last week: Nothing bad happened.
    Week before: Out of memory. Backups didn't run.
    Week before: Every tape mysteriously became a cleaning tape.
    Week before: Nothing bad happened.
    Week before: Every tape was seen as 1/10th it's size.
    Week before: Remote Agents decide to uninstall - backups must be re-done.

....Until the beginning of time.
  • d4nmfd4nmf Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1.8TB!? Thats alot of data...

I'd look into a Tape Autochanger and backup exec. If you buy the remote license then you can backup remote machines.
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    We actually switched from BackupExec to Commvault. If you firm has the money it takes to implement Commvault I say go for it, but it is pricey.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    So you're doing a full backup - is that where the 1.8 TB comes from?
    nlabelle is onto something there.....incremental or differential backups might be the best way forward...
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    d4nmf wrote:
    nlabelle is onto something there.....incremental or differential backups might be the best way forward...

It's always a good idea to include incremental and/or differential backups in your backup strategy. However, you do need to do full backup every once in awhile. You don't want to have to restore three months of incremental backups if you have to recover a system, and the differential backup will approach the size of the full backup as time progresses anyway.
    Aye, just do a full backup friday night and leave it running over the weekend icon_cool.gif
    well we have a staggered config. We backup 32 servers per night. 4/32 are set to do their fulls on a particular night, 28/32 are doing diffs. The problem is that the compression is hogging the cpu so much on the NAS server that Sungard's utility to backup that server to tape (Tivoli Storage Mgr) can't get access to the files quick enough to be done within their window. What I'm trying to find is a utility that will backup and compress almost simultaneously across the wire to the nas device. Key is to have the cpu killed on the server that's backing itself up instead of the nas device.
    commvault is expensive!! 2k/server?
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    I don't know if you guys are familiar with Sungard, but we house our production side servers there. The system works like this for backups:

-We have all our servers back up (with ntbackup) to a NAS appliance that we own (7zip runs 24/7 compressing the bkf's).
    -SG then uses Tivoli Storage Manager to pull the backups (.zip's) off that server to their SAN.

No plugging SunGard, I have enough work already... icon_wink.gif
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
    cacharo wrote:

No plugging SunGard, I have enough work already... icon_wink.gif

you work there? what do you do?
    I work in their Minneapolis DC. I currently work in operations, so I really do alot in many different areas. Is your company hosted in one of the Philly DCs? If you have been onsite there, I am one of the NOC guys you would have met.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
    I have been on site in philly. 401N broad 11th floor
    Haven't been there yet, but have talked to alot of the staff. Great guys over there.
    Yea, they all seem to know their stuff
    Anyone have any opinions on any of the following:

-Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server
    -Symantec backup exec 11d
    -Active Backup Expert Pro

?
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm completely against NetBackup. I've never liked using it. If you are analyzing Veritas products, I'd much, much rather use Backup Exec; and that's saying a lot.
    RTmarc wrote:
    I'm completely against NetBackup. I've never liked using it. If you are analyzing Veritas products, I'd much, much rather use Backup Exec; and that's saying a lot.

Sorry I meant backup exec 11d. Typo