Options

cert confusion

Hi,

Having logged onto my transcript I appear to have been awarded the MCITP for vista? I hold an MCDST and recently took the 70-620 and passed. I didnt take the 70-621 or 70-622. I was under the impression that I would need to take the 70-621 to achieve this? or the 70-620 and 70-622 together?

This is on the MCP site - In response to your feedback, we are pleased to announce a policy change that enables a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST) to use Exam 70-621: PRO: Upgrading Your MCDST Certification to MCITP Enterprise Support, as credit for certifications that list Exam 70-620: TS: Windows Vista, Configuring, as a required or elective exam. This policy change is retroactive—if you took Exam 70-621 months ago, it will now apply to any certification to which Exam 70-620 applies. There is no action required.

But I cant see that it applies?

Any ideas before I contact microsoft?

Cheers

Amy
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• Options
    KrankKrank Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I Thought I was the only one with that issue. It's the same case for me and I still can't explain it. But hey, why to complain?
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Having logged onto my transcript I appear to have been awarded the MCITP for vista? I hold an MCDST and recently took the 70-620 and passed. I didnt take the 70-621 or 70-622. I was under the impression that I would need to take the 70-621 to achieve this? or the 70-620 and 70-622 together?

This is on the MCP site - In response to your feedback, we are pleased to announce a policy change that enables a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST) to use Exam 70-621: PRO: Upgrading Your MCDST Certification to MCITP Enterprise Support, as credit for certifications that list Exam 70-620: TS: Windows Vista, Configuring, as a required or elective exam. This policy change is retroactive—if you took Exam 70-621 months ago, it will now apply to any certification to which Exam 70-620 applies. There is no action required.

But I cant see that it applies?

Any ideas before I contact microsoft?

Cheers

Amy

I got the same email from MS, it said that if you have passed 621 then it will basically count as 620. I am not sure why you would get MCITP: Enterprise Support Tech if you have not taken 621 or 622 though. It sounds like a mistake I Microsoft's part.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    Have emailed MS today - I think its a balls up!

Quite happy to take it if they really insist though :D
  • Options
    This was the reply

We value your time and it would be our pleasure to assist you. However we checked your profile and found that you have achieved that certification since 70-620 can also be counted as one of the requirements for MCITP in place of 70-621.

Now it appears I got the MCTIP because I had passed the 70-620?

So I ask you all a favour please. Can people who have passed the 620 ( configuring vista ) and hold a MCDST ( dunno if thats relevent ) but have NEVER taken the 622 or the 621 ( upgrade exam ) to see if they have also been awarded this credential on their MS transcripts?

Many thanks for your help
  • Options
    spree610spree610 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I found the same thing today. I got awarded the MCITP on the 11th of Jan 08.

I was MCDST Oct 25, 2007
    I was MCTS: Vista Config Nov 19, 2007

*Edited* I took 620, never took 70-621 or 70-622.
    "The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing just what it is that I do."

Next stop 70-291, 70-648, 70-646
  • Options
    You took the upgrade exam so you WOULD get the mcitp.

Im loooking for people who only took the 70-620 to see if it happened to them as well.

As my magical exam was also on the 11 jan maybe I got your cert :D
  • Options
    You took the upgrade exam so you WOULD get the mcitp.

Im loooking for people who only took the 70-620 to see if it happened to them as well.

As my magical exam was also on the 11 jan maybe I got your cert :D

correction i took 620.

• Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    I think this is a good move my Microsoft, since there arent any real books out for the MCDST Upgrade exam (621), so i guess now MCDST's can just take the 620 which has plenty of books out for it including ms press and still still acheive the MCITP status w00t w00t.

Thanks for the info, i might actually now look into picking up a book for 620 and playing around with vista along with studying for the 290 exam.

win2k4
  • Options
    MS reply for clarification...

As MCDST, you need to take either 70-620 or 70-621 to have MCITP credential. As you have passed exam 70-620, You have MCITP and MCTS credential.

:D:D:DBONUS :D:D:D

Im MCTIP as well :P
  • Options
    well im glad i didnt bother taking the other test then! icon_cheers.gif

• Options
    ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
    So... if you take the 620 its the same as taking the 621 now?

Isn't 620 a bit easier?
  • Options
    YEP!
  • Options
    Can anyone else confirm? Not that I don't trust you.. I just want more feedback :)

I am taking my test today and if all possible I'd love to take the 620 instead of the 621.
  • Options
    As I mentioned before, I'm an MCDST and took the 70-620 exam and became MCITP. Curiously on 11th january just as amyamandaallen and spree610. Counting the MCP, I own 4 certifications with only 3 exams. Sweet!
  • Options
    Krank wrote:
    As I mentioned before, I'm an MCDST and took the 70-620 exam and became MCITP. Curiously on 11th january just as amyamandaallen and spree610. Counting the MCP, I own 4 certifications with only 3 exams. Sweet!

I emailed mcp help about it today.. I doubt I will get a response for sure however. I am just afraid that might have been a one off bug that day for whatever reason.. theres not very much information on the net... and all the information there is says 621 is the only upgrade test. icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    I called Microsoft.. they said 621 is the only option for upgrading. However the tech sounded like she was reading off a script... this is frustrating. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Hi,

Microsoft were pretty quick to respond.

I didnt really trust the first reply so asked for more clarification and it said the same. It doesnt make alot of sense to me either but they were pretty adament even after checking my transcript.

Funnily enough when I rang to asked about my missing MCTS kit she also asked why I hadnt ordered my MCITP welcome kit yet?
  • Options
    Did you notice that Microsoft corrected the error?

A few minutes ago when I was checking my transcript, I noticed that I don't have the MCITP certification, so in my logo builder tool the MCITP logo doesn't appear either.

It's kind of confusing because I even have the certificate they send by mail. Am I supposed to throw it away?

I knew this could happen but why did it take them so long? Why do they even bothered in sending certificates that later would be useless?
  • Options
    I hear the US has a writers strike.....

Perhaps they should employ MS staff as thats bl00dy funny....

Oh well :P
  • Options
    Yup my MCITP is gone as well and they sent me the certificate like crank.

• Options
    mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think by taking the 620 exam it means you now a qualified MCTIP but thats just on the Vista consumer edition. If you had taken the upgrade exam 621 you hold MCTIP on Config.. Vista on both Enterprise and Consumer.

From my own point of view I think Microsoft has changed the MCDST to MCTIP and then you can branch off from there to MCTIP Exchange Server, Network Tech etc. I hope you understand what I am trying to say ( that you are a qualified Microsoft Certified IT Proff) but in Vista Consumer ...

I am tired just finished a night shift so dont really want to go into detail but if you require more info let me know and I can clarify later on.
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    Krank wrote:
    Did you notice that Microsoft corrected the error?

A few minutes ago when I was checking my transcript, I noticed that I don't have the MCITP certification, so in my logo builder tool the MCITP logo doesn't appear either.

It's kind of confusing because I even have the certificate they send by mail. Am I supposed to throw it away?

I knew this could happen but why did it take them so long? Why do they even bothered in sending certificates that later would be useless?

Damn. I was hoping to quickly squeeze in the 70-620 next week and get both the MCTS and MCTIP!
  • Options
    JbellamyJbellamy Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did the same thing. I had MCDST and though i needed to take the 70-620 to get MCTS, but now it looks like i need to take the 70-621 to upgrade to MCITP. From what you say I will be awarded this cert since I took the 70-620 so will i get both.