Options

2 Nic Cards on a Machine???separate subnets with VMs???

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey gurus..

what I am trying to do is this. I have a machine that I run say XP pro as an OS. Then
I run Virtual PC 2007 with 2 virtual PCs on this one machine. What I want to do this.

I have two nic cards on this machine each with its own IP address, gateway, subnet mask, and dns servers. I have done it before when i made PCs into routers but for some reason I cannot
configure two gateways to this one pc even though there are two NIC cards.
What am I doing wrong. Why cannot I have 2 nics with two separate subnets on one PC.
Then I wanted to config each Virtual PC to each respective NIC card to then hook each nic/cat 5 into the switch in its own separate vlan. Like this:

nic 1

vpc1

nic 2

vpc2

does this makes sense? I am doing this so I can have two different PCs on different vlans???

Help!

Why cant i have two different gateways on my PC..I am sure you can do this...what am i doing wrong. It keeps giving me a message saying I cannot do this???when i configure the 2nd nic?

thanks

:D

[/img]

Comments

• Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    I've never tried it with VirtualPC, but i can say that with vmware it is pretty easy.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I'm pretty sure you cant have 2 default gateways, period.

However, you could not give one of the NIC's a gateway. Then you could add a static route from the 2nd IP to whatever you wanted to get to. I think that would work...hope it does, or at least gives you an idea :)
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Windows uses something known as dead gateway detection when there are more than one default gateway configured. It will use only on of the configured gateways all of the time, if the one it is using dies then it ill use the other one all of the time, it does not use both. You can manually add routes to the routing table if you want, but that's not going to be a default gateway.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    korszokorszo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    itdaddy wrote:
    Hey gurus..
    does this makes sense? I am doing this so I can have two different PCs on different vlans???

Help!

Why cant i have two different gateways on my PC..I am sure you can do this...what am i doing wrong. It keeps giving me a message saying I cannot do this???when i configure the 2nd nic?
    [/img]

What you want to do makes sense, setting two Default Gateways on the main machine does not.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/internetaccessbestuses/f/default_gateway.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_gateway

How can you have two active Default Gateways on one machine? On the host PC, open a Command Prompt and do a "route print" and look at the routing table. This may clear things up for you.

You must set the IP address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway in the Virtual Machine, not in the main computer’s operating system.

It’s funny you asked this. I just built a machine yesterday with 4 NICs using WinXP & Virtual PC 2007. First time I’ve used virtualization, seems like it’s going to work well. I’m in the process of building my lab.

Hope this helps.

RK
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    korszo

you guys rock; yeah i was using along time ago when i made 4 pcs into routers
    using that routing program that comes with servers.

great i will try that and just set it so IP will work and transfer t the vlan and the to the final
    sub-if gateway for my ROS (intervlan setup) yeah, tryin to use Virtual PCs for this..he saves on space and hardware.

I run an Exchange EE 2003 and DC on another machine for my home @itdaddy.net email server.
    works awesome. What I absolutely love about VPC 2007 even though it is not high end like VMware. I used for basic stuff. But the beauty secret I have found. You can recover fast I mean fast from a disaster. This is my secrete to fast recovery from anything with VPC 2007

I had an Exchange OWA 404 issue that would not go away with anything MS$$ said in their whitepapers nothing I did worked. And I am not going to spend hours on this fix if I can see 20 different possible fixes....i will spend some time playing but I do not have forever! and i think i am good!

so what i do is i have my exchange backed up daily and of course a good copy of Exchange VM
    on a external USB and when things all of suddge go bad. and this 404 error just happend. i was doing no updatess to anything just happend. i did this in 15 mnutes had my exchange up and running

Disabled bad VM with 404 error
    enable good VM with no 404 error
    and restored my exhange all in 15 minutes

and that is the freaking beauty of Virtual PC; doesnt get any better!
    bam!

thanks for the tips guys! i will try and let you know!

PS. I think when i was using Routing and Remote Access server it allowed me to devine
    2 gateways and since i am not using this software, i can see why it only allows 1 gate way thanks now i remember picking nic cards and setting up different gateways because the software allowed me toooo. thanks
    so a PC only has one gateway by nature even if you have two nics or more