Options

CCNP

elementourelementour Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I might be getting ahead of myself talking about ccnp as ive not passed my ccna yet (taking it tomorrow) but i feel quietly confident and i have found a recent enthusiasm to push my career forward as much as i can so i want to look forward to ccnp. i have just been looking for ccnp books and there seems to be alot of differant books for ccnp so i was hoping somone could give me an idea of what books i will need. for my ccna i bought the cisco press books and the sybex todd lammle book which i found gave a good balance as i could read the sybex for a brief overview and the labs then read the cisco press for a more in depth look so i would be after a similar approach to ccnp.

also this might seem a really silly question but how much of a 'step up' is ccnp from ccna as i#ve not yet looked at any material.

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    elementour,

What's your background? CCNP without experience isn't going to help all that much.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    i work for a network security company that manages a pretty large global network. i mostly do client setups which restricts my work mainly to switches and check point firewalls but i do some basic router config with acl's etc. ive been doing that for just over a year and i will shortly be moving to the faults side of things so i should develop my troubleshooting skills plus getting more involved in more technical issues. my aim really is just to increase my knowledge and experience so i can get a job when i am either higher up in a small team or managing a small network on my own.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    elementour wrote:
    I might be getting ahead of myself talking about ccnp as ive not passed my ccna yet (taking it tomorrow) but i feel quietly confident and i have found a recent enthusiasm to push my career forward as much as i can so i want to look forward to ccnp. i have just been looking for ccnp books and there seems to be alot of differant books for ccnp so i was hoping somone could give me an idea of what books i will need. for my ccna i bought the cisco press books and the sybex todd lammle book which i found gave a good balance as i could read the sybex for a brief overview and the labs then read the cisco press for a more in depth look so i would be after a similar approach to ccnp.

also this might seem a really silly question but how much of a 'step up' is ccnp from ccna as i#ve not yet looked at any material.

Get the Cisco Press Series for starters. And it wouldn't hurt to supplement that with "Routing TCP/IP Volume I, Second Edition" by Doyle, also from Cisco Press.
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote:
    elementour,

What's your background? CCNP without experience isn't going to help all that much.

Better then no CCNP and no experience.

I say go for it. Cisco Press books are the only game in town really when you go past the CCNA. Go to www.ciscopress.com and check out the books for the CCNP line of exams. If you bought Cisco books for your CCNA then register them on the website and you get a 35% off voucher for your next purchase.
  • Options
    well i passed my CCNA today so bring on the CCNP :D
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif and good luck on the CCNP. Make sure whatever books you use you also refer to the documentaion CD as you go
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass :D
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    ok i thought i would reply to my original thred rather than start a new one. I have ordered the cisco press CCNP study guide and there are 4 books, BSCI, ONT, ISCW and BCMSN. ok so i have no idea which do i need to read first ?
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BSCI or BCMSN are the usual starting points for NP.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Most people start with either the BSCI or BCMSN. I think slightly more lean towards the BSCI first. I am going with BSCI first as well. I find there's a lot of overlap with the CCNA..since the BSCI is all Layer 3.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Start with the BSCI. The basic foundation of IP routing is the core of everything you'll learn from here on out, be it CCIP, CCVP, or what. Almost everything in the networking world relies on the BSCI's knowledge.

It all starts with routing.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    singh8281singh8281 Member Posts: 126
    I don’t think it’s in your best interest to buy a certification library. I would buy each exam book separately since the material is updated so frequently or not necessarily updated, but maybe a next edition with all the errors worked out form previous print so who knows by the time you’re done with BSCI or BMSN the remaining 2 or 3 books are not as easy to follow as the newer edition. I thought of ordering the certification library myself but realized that the pace at which I am going to study, it will take me 6 to 8 months to get over all four exams given that I pass all the exams in first or at least 2nd attempt. Buying study guides individually after finishing the first isn’t going to put a big dent in your pocket since you’ll be so excited from passing the exam and so eager to get your hands on the next book in order to complete the series.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Paul Boz wrote:
    Start with the BSCI. The basic foundation of IP routing is the core of everything you'll learn from here on out, be it CCIP, CCVP, or what. Almost everything in the networking world relies on the BSCI's knowledge.

It all starts with routing.

I agree start with the BSCI or you could go for the exam for the freaks which is the composite :D
  • Options
    qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    yep take composite...kill 2 birds with one stone....that's where i'm headed...besides its cheaper ;)
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • Options
    I'm glad that I took the composite but I wouldn't recommend it to people unless they know the material well enough to do so. I'd say that since the original poster recently got his CCNA he should tackle each exam individually.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    qplayed wrote:
    besides its cheaper
    But only if you pass on your first try.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    It's really not THAT much cheaper either. The composite cost me either $225 or $250, i don't remember. Either way it was only like $50 less than taking them separately. they definitely don't offer the composite for the purpose of saving money.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    qplayed wrote:
    besides its cheaper
    But only if you pass on your first try.

Beat me to the punch again. Mike! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    i agree.....but i plan on passing it the 1st time around...big words yes....but i don't plan on screwing around.....
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • Options
    yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are there any major changes planned for the CCNP?

I see the library was released 2007/08, not so long ago.. The saving is only around $20, but you get the nifty box!! icon_cool.gif
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The CCNP was last changed in November of 2006, so based on the usual 3-4 year rotation I would say it's not going to change soon but you never know for sure.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    had303had303 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

I have completed my MCP & CCNA last month but I do not have any work experience whatsoever. So will this affect my CCNP preparations in any way because I'm thinking of going ahead with CCNP. Plz guys help me out as I'm a total newbie as far as work experience is concerned. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    had303 wrote:
    Hi

I have completed my MCP & CCNA last month but I do not have any work experience whatsoever. So will this affect my CCNP preparations in any way because I'm thinking of going ahead with CCNP. Plz guys help me out as I'm a total newbie as far as work experience is concerned. icon_sad.gif
    Not to say you can't complete the CCNP or it wouldn't be worth it but maybe the CCNA specialization certs would serve you better since you have no work experience
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    had303 wrote:
    Hi

Not to say you can't complete the CCNP or it wouldn't be worth it but maybe the CCNA specialization certs would serve you better since you have no work experience

Hey Thanks for replying icon_wink.gif , but looking at most posts in the forum I cannot understand even a penny of what they are saying (in terms of technical terms), might be due to my in-experience.

So if I start with such a background, will I succeed in passing CCNP or else will I have to approach a professional who's already a CCNP or CCIE to help & guide me????
  • Options
    do you have no work experience at all or just no work experience with cisco gear?
  • Options
    do you have no work experience at all or just no work experience with cisco gear?

No work experience at all.......I've just finished my graduation & then completed my CCNA in June.
  • Options
    First thing I would suggest is find an entry level position and start getting some experience wither it is a network position or a help desk role what's important here is to get some job experience, if you want to go for the CCNP there should be nothing to stop you and is definitely do-able, not to mention nothing says you HAVE to put down you hold a CCNP if you want to move into a entry level networking position that is asking for a CCNA, the most helpful things I can suggest if you go for the CCNP is to make sure you have a decent lab setup (real gear or dynamips) and get multiple sources to study from (I assume you'll start with the BSCI if that is the case make sure to get the self study guide as the exam cert guide isn't enough to pass). Good luck!
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So are we not able to just purchase the whole lab from Ebay and get the experience from there? to pass CCNP?

I was thinking of purchasing something like this, and keep playing around with it, until I get comfortable with the technology then take the exam.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-LAB-CCNA-CCNP-3x-3640-ROUTERS-2950-SWITCH-12-4_W0QQitemZ140255469438QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140255469438&_trkparms=72%3A1071%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&timeout=1218476968606
  • Options
    First thing I would suggest is find an entry level position and start getting some experience wither it is a network position or a help desk role what's important here is to get some job experience, if you want to go for the CCNP there should be nothing to stop you and is definitely do-able, not to mention nothing says you HAVE to put down you hold a CCNP if you want to move into a entry level networking position that is asking for a CCNA, the most helpful things I can suggest if you go for the CCNP is to make sure you have a decent lab setup (real gear or dynamips) and get multiple sources to study from (I assume you'll start with the BSCI if that is the case make sure to get the self study guide as the exam cert guide isn't enough to pass). Good luck!

I am desperately trying for a decent job but what I'm being offered at fresher level is stupid & rubbish Call Center's voice process based jobs & similar kinds of jobs with no network exposure.

So I'm fed up of these offers because even after having an Engineering Degree + MCP + CCNA can't get me a decent networking job. So I thought why not go for CCNP & then try for job.

You've mentioned of having a decent lab setup : My question is what all things are required for such a decent lab & what would be its approximate cost??? Moreover, will the same lab be useful for CCIE???? Study material won't be a problem because I'll refer this forum before buying any study material & when there are very helpful members like you, then whats the need to worry. icon_wink.gif

Thanks for helping me out bro.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Figured I'd share some thoughts on the CCNP books. I saved about $75 purchasing the CCNP Official Exam Certification Library (5th Edition) by buying from an independant seller. Considering that each book is $50 - $80, I'd say that spending $105 in total isn't a bad deal. As for updates to the books, there is an errata for each book, and the content of the exams they cover do not change. When a new exam is released, a new book is released, so as long as the CCNP exams remain valid, the books are useful. (Which, considering that these exams were released last year, should be for another 4 - 5 years.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.