Options

Be careful what you wish for!

SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Well, as the subject line states, be careful what you wish for. I've been a Windows Systems Administrator at my current job for a year but spend most of the time shadowing the net admins. It's what I eventually want to do, and they needed the help so it was a happy arrangement. Of course, it got to a point where I began to covet their positions and for the past 6 months I've been bugging my supervisor to move me into a network position. Well, that day has arrived. There's a position opening up in 4 months and he is giving me the chance to have first whack at applying. His only requirement? CCNA in 3 1/2 months.
Now, my networking experience so far has been physical layer stuff (making cables, running 'em through trays, installing trays where they're missing, etc.) with pretty much the only interaction with switches and routers being setting them up in the rack, and plugging in the cables. I've also been reading up on CCNA, having gone through the Cisco Press books and about half way through the Bryant CCNA material but haven't really had much time to play with actual physical switches and routers (I have a 2950 switch on my desk along with a pair of 2610 routers waiting to be used and abused though).
So my question to you, fellow techexam denizens, is do you think the materials and equipment I have on hand will suffice for my educational goal and time frame? Also, does anyone know of a good Bootcamp provider? I'd like to hedge my bet by going to a boot camp sometime before the deadline just so I can really bring all the information together. I'm looking for one of those bootcamps where you either live on campus or in a hotel nearby so I can get away from the daily troubles of life and just live, eat and breathe cisco. Price right now is not a major factor as the pay increase for the move will more than likely pay for the bootcamp. Appreciate all the advice you can give!
Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd say you should be good with the material you have. I'd suggest at least three switches and three routers for a lab. Not 100% necessary, but it will really help you get a hold of all the technologies. The Cisco Press books are the best material for the exam IMO. All you need to know are in those books (at least when I took the 801).

As far as boot camps I can't help you there. They are just a rip off IMO.

Good luck with your study and the new position!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The CCNA in 3 1/2 months will not be an issue. I know a pretty bright guy who studied for the CCNA alongside me. I had plenty of experience, and passed, after a few months studying. He had no experience, and failed after one month, retook it after two months (still, with very little hands on experience) and passed....you should have no trouble.

Just study, and take time to understand the concepts. The CCNA is very much based on understanding HOW things work. If you get that part of it, the rest is easy. I knew probably 10 questions into my CCNA that I'd pass, based on understanding what I was reading.
  • Options
    gonzoflickgonzoflick Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you take the two exam approach you might make it easier on yourself. I studied hard for a month and passed CCENT. Now I've already registered for ICND at the end of Feb and I don't foresee any problem. Thats two months. Ive used Cisco Press, CBT Nuggets, and my own lab (1 2900 and 1 2611 and 2 2514s)
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Good luck. I've been wishing for an oppurtunity liek that for 3 years. Still a no go. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As far as boot camps I can't help you there. They are just a rip off IMO.

There are some very good boot camps out there, it depends on the school and how it's offered. As a school a boot camp program is a double edged sword because most companies want them due to the short time frame of the program which means their employees are not away from work for too long. If you don't offer them you are losing out on all those potential customers. When you do offer them you need to be selective about who you allow to take the program and who you do not. Beginners should not take a boot camp, period. You need at least 6 months - 1 year of prior hands on Cisco experience before I would recommend taking a CCNA boot camp. The goal is to go over all of the topics in the courseware in a shortened time frame but the total training hours are the same (our CCNA boot camp is from 8 am to 8 pm each day with an instructor available and labs open to midnight if someone wants to study). They are not test preparation, they are instructor led training that covers the entire CCNA in 7 days.

What would you recommend to someone who wants instructor led training but thir timeframe doesn't permit them to go to classes at night for 2 months?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    What would you recommend to someone who wants instructor led training but thir timeframe doesn't permit them to go to classes at night for 2 months?

A lot of us do not have time for instructor led training. I would like to have my self study supplemented with instructor led, but I just don't have the time. I'm sure there are some good boot camps out there. I've never been to a boot camp, but thousands of dollars for a cram session isn't something I would ever consider, unless my company paid for it.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Typically the students in the boot camps had their employer pay for it. Some are being sent for training they don't want, that is an interesting dynamic in the classroom to deal with. Imagine somone who is being sent for training for free but when they are there they don't want to do any of the lab work or even pay attention, they are just there "because their employer wants them there".

Althought it was a different format, I was not at all happy with the CCIE R+S Lab audio bootcamp I purchased, I only made it about 25% of the way through. It was way short on substance and way too much "just something to think about, m'kay?" or "keep that in mind, m'kay?" or "watch out for that, m'kay?" and not enough how to actually do something. I also found it sounded like I was listening to Mr. Mackey fom South Park.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    I'd get my money back if they sent me some training by Mr. Macky!!

Some people just don't want to learn I guess. I'd learn anything if my work paid for it.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also found it sounded like I was listening to Mr. Mackey fom South Park.

mmmmmmKUUUUUUYY! icon_lol.gif

t_204_mkaymackey
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice folks. I think I will take the two test path to splite the studying up. Divide and Conquer right? icon_lol.gif I'll keep you posted on the progress. Hopefully I'll be throwing up "PASSED CCNA" on the boards in May.
  • Options
    phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The two exam route might be best if you don't have a lot of physical experience in the network world. It'll also give you a chance to get used to the Cisco exams and the way they ask questions and present the simulations and simlets.

If you are more seasoned with networking and Cisco appliances then the single exam route is better.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've pretty much sold myself on going the two test route. Now, what's everyone's feeling on test software? I have transcenders for my mcse material and it was really good for the 270 and 290 exam. But how is it for cisco? I've also used Preplogic for my Sec+ and Net+ certs, which were ok. And I see that you can order Self Test prep software with the CBT nugget DVD. Any opinions?