Vista and XP (Same Machine)

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
Hi Guys,

I havent used Vista indepth much so I wonder if anyone would be able to answer this question for me.

Which would provide the best results:

Vista and XP dual booted on one machine

or

Vista as host OS and XP running as a Virtual Machine?

Then I could also take advantage of the Readyboost in Vista with a spare 2GB Flash Drive I have.

Which would be better and is Readyboost anything to write home about??

And will using this drastically reduce the life expectancy of the flash drive?

Cheers
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    I have setup 80GB split, XP first then whilst in XP run Vista setup install to other partition, mine was the upgrade so i had to install it twice, bummer

Lee H
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't had much luck with the ReadyBoost + Virtual host combination. Every time I have readyboost enabled and try to open my virtual machine, the system just hangs and never opens. I remove my flashdrive that had readyboost enabled and the VM opens immediately.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I didn't think Ready Boost was anything to rave about. You might want to ensure your usb drive is Ready Boost capable. I turned the service off and don't even use it personally.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It depends on what you want to do. Do you need to use them at the same time? Are you going to be doing anything intensive, such as gaming, inside of one or both of them? One option might be better than the other depending on your needs. There isn't simply a right or wrong option.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Sorry I will explain a bit better:

I guess the question should be -

Can I take advantage of Readyboost when running Virtual Machines?

Anyone else have problems like BeaverC32?

BeaverC32, what Virtualisation Software are you using?[/b]
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools