Options

Best all time computer\technology related movies list.

coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
I will start this with two of my favorites:

The Matrix series
Tron

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Office Space
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Star Wars
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I liked Minority Report because it seems like technology is heading in that direction. The story itself was ok.

Other cool Wii projects can be found here: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

+1 for Matrix and Office Space as well.

[edit]
    I just came across this while eating. If you liked the Johnny Lee head-tracking, check this out too: http://kotaku.com/351539/vr-head-tracking-for-the-ps3
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Hackers... Makes me laugh every time I watch it!
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Hackers... Makes me laugh every time I watch it!

"Woah, a virus and a worm?! Plot thickens!"

Love that movie.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have any of you ever watched Blade Runner? I haven't yet but it looks like it might be cool. Anyway I thought I would throw that in there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    I liked the "Bourne" series.
    Well, it's not actually all about computers but the advanced technology there's great. I liked the part where "Blackbriar" was filtered in the voice system and was traced as to who and where it was said.
    Focused and Steady.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Colossus: The Forbin Project

War games

Tron

Sneakers

The Net

Hackers -- I still think "Cereal Killer" when ever I see Matthew Lillard in anything -- which made it hard to take Wing Commander and the Scooby movies "seriously." "Hack the Planet!! Hack the Planet! They're trashing our rights!"

And I've wanted to put all my computers in a faraday cage (or at least my lab study area and equipment) since Enemy of The State -- but that's probably more to keep my cats from trying to jump in my lap to "help me study" than any computer security/privacy concerns.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I think Sneakers has my vote for best hacker movie. It has a great cast (Robert Redford, Syndey Portier, Dan Akroyd, River Pheonix) and fairly believable plot (if you believe quantum cryptography or something similar can work for cracking RSA-type schemes), and it covers all facets of hacking: social engineering and phreaking to cryptography and espionage.
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    Star Wars

how in the hell is star wars a computer movie?...lol
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The topic states computer/technology related, dumbass.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Definitely Hackers, Office Space, a few others that i can't think of.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Hackers also has some good music in it -
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've always loved those goofy CG-clips they have in movies of what a computer screen looks like. One of the best is in Jurassic Park, "This is a Unix system. I know this!", and they have these ultra-inefficient blocks of data to search through, as if though it somehow makes the system more high-end to have to sort through files and folders in 3D space. icon_lol.gif

And, of course, let's not even talk about Untraceable and FearDotCom. . . icon_rolleyes.gif

As for movies with realistic computer networks, that didn't make me cringe when the characters go into tech-talk. . . I'll have to get back to you. Star Trek doesn't count, but that's only because it's more of a slick "World of Tomorrow" type of view of the future, rather than trying to be realistic in how things progress, (despite the fact they stay true to real scientific theory).

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1 for blade runner!

it was quite ahead of its time aswell. a classic.

The director cut is the best.

The matrix is gd aswell but they didnt finish the trilogy too well i thought, could of been ALOT better but instead they concentrated more on effects at times. dont get me wrong the effects were pretty ground breakin but the storyline suffered because of it i think.

no one like 2010? with HAL haha
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    For me there are few tech related films that hit the button (for me matrix was probably the only one). I mean hackers that hack somputer networks in 60 seconds.....transfer millions of dollars by just putting a disc in a PC (how many bank pc's have disc drives in them now?)....its all too far fetched and not even funny!

I prefer the ideal that computers and tech have brought a new creative edge to films now. My faveourite film of all time is shawshank redemption and youd never guess CG was used in it.....subtle uses in great films make them epic in my eyes!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    hi

I watched 'Gone Baby Gone' last night and found it extremely enjoyable. this film was not released in UK cos of the kidnapping of Madelaine.

Ben Afleks directorial debut. cast his brother Casey as the lead role who plays it very we'll. highly recommended.

sorry this post is not tech related but they all been mentioned in previous posts.

anyone else got a film they recommend

lee h
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pash wrote:
    My faveourite film of all time is shawshank redemption and youd never guess CG was used in it.....subtle uses in great films make them epic in my eyes!

+1...I think I may watch that since you mentioned it. Plus, "Ghost Hunters" did a little show on the prison where they filmed Shawshank. It wasn't too far from where I was born..pretty sweet.
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    BeaverC32 wrote:

just jokin i like to mess with you u take stuff to serious lol, but anyways how is star wars technology related? though i think it would me futurictic rather than technology related,
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ilcram19-2 wrote:
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    though i think it would me futurictic rather than technology related,

Thought technically it was "A Long time ago in a galaxy far far away" :D

This whole thread went waaayyy off topic anyway..."look it had a blender in it, that's technology that is!".

The one I remember most is War Games...for having every kid at school ask if I could start WW3 with my Commodore64 (which of course I couldn't as I didn't have the diskdrive, tape was just too slow for your average 8-bit induced Armageddon).

The single worst I've seen lately was Die Hard 4, now I like the movie for it's shlock, but why would the government build a large secret datacenter with those nice huge fans and walls of flashy lights when all the terrorists had to do was download it all to a USB hard drive....That was one very expensive .gov drive enclosure.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?