Options

PLEASE HELP Uninstall Yahoo Messenger

onimushettaonimushetta Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_cry.gif
Please help! I'm a new CompTia A+ student fresh from a lifetime of Apple Macs. A couple of days ago I installed Yahoo Messenger to windows XP and keep receiving "virus attachments" from horrible strangers. Can anybody tell me really simply how to uninstall it, and all it's cling ons.

Much appreciated.

Onimushetta
awaits.................... icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hrmmm

Try the control panel - add & remove programs.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    :Dicon_lol.gifThank You!
    It worked!
    But I guess you know that right....
  • Options
    Yup :)

However, I am exteremely curious ... I have used Yahoo Messenger since it first became available. What the heck were you doing to get those attachments?
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    RussS wrote:
    Yup :)

However, I am exteremely curious ... I have used Yahoo Messenger since it first became available. What the heck were you doing to get those attachments?

icon_redface.gif do u think Yahoo has a better junk mail filter than Hotmail. I don't even use filters in hotmail; I use exclusive filters and if I disable it for 10 minutes, I'll get it's power of emails in my inbox. On the other hand, all the junk in Yahoo goes to the bulk mail. It's every one year and one email gone astray; but asides from that, Yahoo seems to be clean.

onmi: I don't think u really have to uninstall the messenger. If you're not getting the attachments (or bad emails) in ur inbox, you can ingore the stuff in the bulk.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    :D I must say that since I've uninstalled Yahoo Messenger, I've only received one viral attachment which was 48 ago. The thing about these emails is that if I reply they bounce back. How do they do that, is that part of the virus?

With regards to junk mail, I thought there was some law passed where companies can no longer do that. If you are getting rubbish thru, can't you unsubscribe? As for filtering junk mail which could possibly contain viruses, my colleague got a trojan virus which really slowed her machine down because they were quarantined but not deleted.

I don't like the idea of ignoring what's going on in the background - thanks for the input tho'.

Back to work for me!
    .... Zzzzzzzzzz........ sleeping.gif oops! icon_pale.gif
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    you're supposed to go back to work, not sleep icon_wink.gif (=joke)

Well laws are passed right and left regards these things day and night, but that doesn't help becuase most of the 'spammers' who run off these emails daily are registered and/or operate in countries where the law is really powerless.

I don't use my yahoo account very often, but surprisingly, I never recieve junk in my inbox. As far as I recall, I've never turned on any filter. I guess Yahoo's filter is a bit better than Hotmails.

Anyways.... we have FREE email; so what the deuce icon_lol.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    cwick1234cwick1234 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Help. How do you uninstall yahoo messenger when the program is not listed in the Add/Remove section. It was working and now it asks me to sign on and when I do it just asks me again. It's like I'm stuck in a loop and it also says I am signed on, but the little face down by the clock is grey. Thanks
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    try reinstalling it and then follow the instructions above.
  • Options
    cwick1234cwick1234 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I tried three times to reinstall and each time it says it installed over old one, but It still does not show up in my Add/Remove section.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    format c:
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    I would say it's time to search the registry for Yahoo and remove it manually icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    Yes, look for it in registry, and then download ccleaner from ccleaner.com and run the registry fixer tool on it. Then search yahoo for a program called hijackthis and use it to remove any last traces of it. Before doing that, put the PC into safe mode.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I hate yahoo toolbar, I prefer to use google toolbar. Yahoo toolbar installs spyware in the background. At least the older versions did.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    midulstermidulster Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    disable it in msconfig if it looks like it's not in add/remove programs