Options

Job Offer / Security+ ?!

optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
icon_eek.gif

Hi peeps. I got some interesting news. I was able to get a cool job offer, working more with computer routers/networks, and with a better company then the one I am working with now. I think there is a lot more opportunity for the future. The only bad thing is it actually pays about 7% less than I make now, but I am probably going to take it just because I am going to be doing more of what I want to do! It is not an easy decision to make because I have been working with the same people for over 10 years. There is no long term incentives though, so it is a pretty clean break.

Believe it or not, they require me to get the Security+ exam. So I guess that if I accept the job offer (when I get it in writing), I will have to take a little break from CCNP to get this. icon_cry.gif

It pays to keep up with your education. In IT, it can really mean getting an offer or not. Also, your social network helps. icon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    Well, assuming you'll be making enough money to support yourself on the reduced income, doing what you like counts for a whole lot. I don't think you'll have much trouble with the Security+ test if you study well for it. I studied hard for 2-3 months and got it, and you may do better than that.

Good luck!
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd definitely go for it unless that 7% decrease is going to cause some serious hardships. The experience you gain will be worth its weight in gold. Who cares if you drop 7% when you'll be making 20% more 2-3 years from now.

The Security+ isn't a big deal. It's interesting material that's enjoyable to study. I did it in a month with CBT Nuggets, the Syngress book, and Transcender.

Congratulations and good luck.
  • Options
    Hey thanks.

I noticed that there are two Syngress books for Security+, one is from 2002 (1st edition), and the other one from 2007( 2nd Edition) , but the 2007 one has a different exam code on the front. I am wondering which Syngress book do you mean to use?
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Good stuff mate..... Getting paid 7% less should hardly matter if it means you will be enjoying work 100% more!!!

Enjoy!!! :D

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    optimus wrote:
    Hey thanks.

I noticed that there are two Syngress books for Security+, one is from 2002 (1st edition), and the other one from 2007( 2nd Edition) , but the 2007 one has a different exam code on the front. I am wondering which Syngress book do you mean to use?

Second edition is fine. The difference in codes basically designates one as a student test and one as a regular test. The content is the same.
  • Options
    Wow, that was fast! Thanks Dynamik.
  • Options
    I have been in the IT industry professionally for 12+ years now. I lucked out when I was young, by meeting someone who "hooked me up" with a good job, while I was still in college studying. Now that 12 years has gone by, it is time to really do something I WANT to do, instead of just making MAX GREEN. I hope everyone here gets to feel what that is like, to have some money saved away to provide you the opportunity to take more risks, because life just is not worth living sometimes without taking some to make you feel alive.

I'll let you all know how it goes. One lesson to you all was that the offer was made over the phone. He asked if I needed a offer letter, and I was like, "Heck yes!". Never quit your job without that offer letter in writing. They can always turn around and say you never got an offer, even though you did. I guess you could record all your telephone conversations also, heh heh.