Options

Serial Link Bandwidth

yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
I poked around cisco.com with Google for a bit, but couldn't find my answer.

I know Cisco defaults serial bandwidth to 1544 Kbit.

What is the actual bandwidth that is available for High Speed Serial interfaces like WIC-1T, WIC-2T, NM-4T ?
How about for async connections like NM-4A/S, NM-8A/S, NM-16A/S?

TIA.
Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)

Comments

• Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Max is 8Mbps for standard 1T's

A/S links are low speed serial, max 128Kbps.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply! icon_thumright.gif
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • Options
    I've got a serial connected to a low-speed serial.

Should I set bandwidth 8192 on the serial side, and bandwidth 128 on the low-speed serial side? or should I set bandwidth 128 on both the serial and low-speed serial side of the connection?

TIA.

edit: just checked and noticed that the router was smart enough to set the default bandwidth to 128 on the low-speed serial, but the serial still defaults to 1544. So should I set this to 8192 or 128? I've read in other places that it should be set to 2048... confused icon_neutral.gif
  • Options
    Partially have answered my own question. I need to set the bandwidth to 128 manually on the other side connected to the low-speed serial, since that is the value that is used for calculating OSPF cost, and EIGRP feasible distance.

I'm not sure if the WIC-1T to WIC-1T bandwidth should be 1544, 2048, or 8192? Any suggestions?

Thanks.