Options

Stuck in a simple lab!!!

AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
For about 4 hours now! Dammit this is frustrating!!

I am talking about lab 4.2.4 from CNAP CCNA., advanced telnet operation.

I am not even at the telnetting. I am trying to set up the connection and for some reason it's not working at many points. I am using Boson simulator.

For the ones of you who dont have the CNAP im going to describe the topology:

We have three routers, and they are connected through serial connections, router1 is DCE to router2, and router2 (serial1) is DCE to router3. All three routers have a hub connected to it and there is a PC connected to every hub. Boson router sim doesnt have hubs and i connected the computers directly to the router because it doesnt have any impact on the practice. I also have to connect the PCs to the console ports of their respective routers but that is not an option neither on the simulator. That is also irrelevant to the practice. I am going to call PCX to refer to the PC connected to the the routerX, being x=[1-3].

The problem is I dont have communication between some devices and i just cant find the reason...

PC3 can communicate with both router3's ports (default gateway). When i try to reach the router 2 serial port i am unable to do it. 0 packets out of 5 are received for 100% loss.

When i move to router3 i can ping router2 to the serial connection that is directly attached to router3, but when i try to ping the serial port that is attached to the router1, it says it is unreachable. I cant reach the ethernet port of router 2 neither (or PC2 obv).

I dont know what is wrong. I have gone through the running-config so many times trying to find a problem and i just dont see any.

Router1 is DCE on serial 0 to router2 serial0. Router2 is DCE on serial1 to router3 serial0. The ports are up and the DCE ports have clock rate 64000 command.

There are no IP address conflicts.

PC2 can conect all the way to PC1, but cant reach router3. Remember router2 can reach router3 but cant reach its the ethernet port or the PC3 that is connected to it.

At first i thought there was something wrong witht he serial connections but the communication between PC1 and 2 is perfect. The problem is on router 3 but i just cant find it.

Sorry for the long post. I AM MAD!! Im going to take a break and im sure when i come back i will see it is something silly.
Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.

Comments

• Options
    Ahh dammit.

THESE LINES:

router rip
    network 192.168.17.0
    network 192.169.13.0

JESUSCHRIST!!

Thanks anyways people.

Sorry for the noobness... icon_redface.gif [/b]
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There is no noobness in making mistakes, as it all helps make us better engineers. Small tip when doing labs.....draw out the IP's and network diagram on paper. Then make the config in a text editor, ctrl-f the IP's you wrote down and confirm they are correct. Saves a lot of time sitting there stumped why something doesnt work icon_wink.gif

Cheers,
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    AlexMR,

Why aren't you using Packet Tracer?
  • Options
    AlexMR,

I dont know what packet tracer is. Im going to investigate now...
  • Options
    AlexMR wrote:
    AlexMR,

I dont know what packet tracer is. Im going to investigate now...

AlexMR,

Packet Tracer is a network simulator program available for students or alumni of the Cisco Networking Academy. Head over to http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/index.html , on the right side under "Academy Users Log In", use the same username and password you use to login to the Cisco curriculum website, then click [GO].

After you login, on the left side, under the column that has the titles "ACADEMY CONNECTION" and "STUDENT HOME", there's a button for "Packet Tracer." Click the [> Download] button, install Packet Tracer and have fun. :)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Do you work for the Net Academy advertising department tech-airman? If not they should be paying you for all the advertisements they get out of you icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Do you work for the Net Academy advertising department tech-airman? If not they should be paying you for all the advertisements they get out of you icon_lol.gif

networker050184,

No, I'm just a very satisifed customer/student. From my experience, the Cisco Networking Academy is like in between the pure self-study route with scrounging for equipment on online auction sites and the rather expensive Cisco Learning Partner courses. For example, at my Cisco Networking Academy, they've got the relatively latest and greatest equipment such as the Cisco Catalyst 29_6_0 switch (towards the 640-802 exam), and enough equipment that they run the CCNP1 or BSCI level Cisco Networking Academy course. Those BSCI level routers are available to be used by those in the CCNA level. They're working on trying to obtain some Layer 3 switches so that they can offer CCNP2 or the BCMSN level course. Also I've found out that if you go to the lab on Thursday night, and physically configure the routers with the cabling and stuff, you can keep the equipment on and during the weekend, through an access server across the Internet, you can login and practice configuring the equipment that you previously setup yourself. Also, I'm currently taking the "Fundamentals of Wireless LANs" course, another Cisco Networking Academy course, where the equipment could be shared with the CCNA Explorations students towards the 640-802 exam that contains some wireless. It's like a geeky "toys r us" for me. :)