Options

Intimidation...

charliepaulcharliepaul Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was at the book store tonight with my girlfriend and as of now I'm only about half way through the Network+ book but I figured I'd take a look at some ccna books and some of this stuff looks pretty intimidating, but I guess the stuff I've got a handle on now; looked that way before I studied it too, but it's kinda scary sometimes. I guess I'm hoping I can get all this stuff. You guys ever feel like that?

Comments

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    absolutely. just remember, you wont learn it all in a day. You may not learn anything in a day. I just try to keep my goals small....ie do this chapter, watch that nugget...and then after a month or two, you know enough for a test.

Its easy to get intimidated. Just remember, there's nothing you cant learn. You just need to have the opportunity to learn it.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You guys ever feel like that?

Yes icon_lol.gif

But you do get over it. The suggested reading list for the Cisco Routing & Switching CCIE takes up about 4 feet of bookshelf space -- not counting the non-Cisco Press books.

When you get to the CCNA for real, sneak a peak at the suggested books for the CCNP -- then the CCNA won't seem that bad in comparison. icon_lol.gif

A Safari subscription could also be less intimidating (and costly) than all the physical books.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    I remember when I started studying the CCNA material - it all seemed overly difficult and "esoteric."

Now - I wonder why it ever looked so difficult.

You do get over the intimidation - in time.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I tend to look at new things I'm learning about as a tangible object. At first, it's this huge, unwieldy thing you can barely lift, can't see around, and is too oddly-shaped and enormous to move or lift. In time, as you learn about whatever it is you're studying, it becomes more familiar and comfortable, and this huge object begins to shrink until it's so small you can fit it in your hand. Once you've got your knowledge and experience down pat, that thing that seemed so intimidating and huge when you first started out, will seem small and easy to handle.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    mwgood wrote:
    Now - I wonder why it ever looked so difficult.

Good to hear!!!
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    I tend to look at new things I'm learning about as a tangible object. At first, it's this huge, unwieldy thing you can barely lift, can't see around, and is too oddly-shaped and enormous to move or lift. In time, as you learn about whatever it is you're studying, it becomes more familiar and comfortable, and this huge object begins to shrink until it's so small you can fit it in your hand. Once you've got your knowledge and experience down pat, that thing that seemed so intimidating and huge when you first started out, will seem small and easy to handle.

GREAT ANALOGY!!!! THANKS GUYS THIS REALLY HELPS!!!!!
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At one time, building a desktop computer seemed like a daunting task..it's easy now.

At one time, basic configuration of a cisco switch was impossible..it's easy now...

Now, BGP, IS-IS are kicking my butt...I think they'll be easy soon.

See a trend? Everything is hard at first, but before you know it, it'll be cake. I am always humbled by checking out the "Technology" section at Barnes and Noble. I see all these books on stuff I'm clueless with- SQL, MCDBA study guides...etc. They're unfamiliar, not impossible. Just remember that. A test is administered so someone can pass...some fail...but why shouldn't you pass?

mikej- 4 feet of shelf space for CCIE eh? That's probably about right. I've got about 2 1/2 ft taken..but I'm not taking that leap yet..only 1 1/2 ft to go to "total" geekdom. Awesome.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can say for certain that none of the CompTia exams were anywhere near as difficult as the MS or Cisco cert tests. I aced my comptia exams in one try...but the CCNA kicked me around like a ragdoll. It gets easier...but you really have to put the time and effort into learning the material.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Q- How do you eat an elephant?
    A - One bite at a time.

And then there are these thoughts from Mark Twain:

A round man cannot be expected to fit in a square hole right away. He must have time to modify his shape.

The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Slowhand wrote:
    it's this huge, unwieldy thing you can barely lift, can't see around, and is too oddly-shaped and enormous to move or lift.

Aww, you're too kind. You're going to make me blush ;)

Technology can be intimidating but it's no worse than the people you have to deal with in IT on a daily basis.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    i would think that intimidation plays a big role, but the is up to the person if you wanna overcome that fear and better yourself you dont really have nothing to loose but you have alot to gain, i know alot a people that 2 years ago said i would be A+ next month and they never got certified and if you ask them when are you taking A+ they said by the end of the semester i just laft...i would think is in the person, some people just talk and talk and they never accomplish anything, is eather do it or be average and im not talking just about certs this applied well on life too
  • Options
    I.T.NerdI.T.Nerd Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You people have some great attitudes! I wasn't discouraged and wasn't even asking a question, but after reading your responses to the question I feel more encouraged than I already was.

I am myself studying for a certification. Actually, I have 2 to get this year.

Thanks for the boost. I think I'll read another chapter!
    icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This reminds me of a long time ago. When I went for my A+, there was some MCP guy who walked into the room and told us how to connect to computers together. One computer be on 192.168.1.5 and the other be on 192.168.1.6 and to set the subnet mask a certain way. I had no idea why that would make the 2 computers talk.

This day in age, I know all about why that's the case. I can subnet and count binary in my head. At that day and age, I was so happy to finish my A+ and I even went to finish my Network+. I dreamed of the day I would be able to complete my MCSE. I never thought I would understand DNS, Group Policy, or Active Directory. Heck, I wanted so badly to understand DNS, AD, especially Exchange.

At that same time, I wanted to get a bachelors degree. So much I wanted to do and felt like it was an unreachable goal. But you know what man? I now know AD, DNS, Exchange, have my bachelor's degree, and will be finishing up my MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator next week when I take my 70-238.

What I am saying is, take my story to heart. IT WILL HAPPEN for you. It will take time. But it WILL happen if you really want it to.

Even right now I think to myself, there's still so much for me to learn. I want to learn SCOM, SCCM, learn more about Group Policy, Scripting, Office Communication Server 2007, Domain Restructuring, etc.... I feel right now as though I am never going to have time to learn this. But you know what, I think back to when I was still going for my A+ and thought that my goals back then were unreachable, but now I have reached them, and will do so with the abilities/products I just listed.

In all due time. Just set your goals, stay at it, don't give up, and work hard. It'll happen for you, and in 5 years, you'll know all that stuff and look back and realize how much you've accomplished in the last few years.

Good luck!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    active directory is a nasssssstyyy beast. i taking a class at school based on 70-294. this stuff is going to take some serious studying and practicing when i get to the point of wanting to do MCSE
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    294 exam is easy. I agree that AD is a beast, but Microsoft made the exam way too easy for how vast AD is.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    every single one of my exams Ive ever studied for (other than net+ for some reason), I felt that it was unachievable. the objectives had way too much information to study and attain. However, I studied and studied until it made sense to me. I go in to take the exams and pass. All of a sudden, I have 5 exams under my belt, and Im one exam away from my MCSA. While its not the 'everest' of IT certs, it is however one of my goals I set 5 years ago.

But back then, I was stupid and almost had a certain anxiety towards exams; so I never took them until a year ago. I didn't take these exams for the very same reason you are stating in this post (too daunting/fear of failing). I hate myself for doing what I did because I could have probably been way more advanced in my career at this point. But it is what it is and I hope that nobody does the same thing I did.

you'll get the feeling that its almost impossible, but its an even better feeling looking back at how much you have progressed!

best of luck!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    snadam wrote:
    every single one of my exams Ive ever studied for (other than net+ for some reason), I felt that it was unachievable. the objectives had way too much information to study and attain. However, I studied and studied until it made sense to me. I go in to take the exams and pass. All of a sudden, I have 5 exams under my belt, and Im one exam away from my MCSA. While its not the 'everest' of IT certs, it is however one of my goals I set 5 years ago.

But back then, I was stupid and almost had a certain anxiety towards exams; so I never took them until a year ago. I didn't take these exams for the very same reason you are stating in this post (too daunting/fear of failing). I hate myself for doing what I did because I could have probably been way more advanced in my career at this point. But it is what it is and I hope that nobody does the same thing I did.

you'll get the feeling that its almost impossible, but its an even better feeling looking back at how much you have progressed!

best of luck!

Thats exactly how I feel, and thats exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks. You are right, about 2 weeks ago subnetting looked like rocket science to me, and now its starting to look really easy. Thanks again