Options

Novell/UNIX/MAC OSx

TrigunTrigun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi folks,

Currently I am using TrainSignal (which by the way is awesome... and Chris Bryant explains things really well) and Netowrk+ book from Sybex is also pretty damn good. Now, in both Windows Server/UNIX and Novell are explained very very briefly. They don't go into details such as address schemes and really any specific protocols that for instance AppleTalk uses. They do explain authentication methods, CSNW/FPNW/GSNW for Novell etc... but overall very very brief for each NOS.

This has got me worried a little... some people mentioned they got absolutely hammered with Mac, Novell and UNIX questions. You do understand that I don't want specifics to break the CompTIA "code of silence" but I don't want to over study these either as I can use that time to obviously concentrate on other things in the N+ exam. When or if I need to in the future I'll take a seperate Novell course to learn all about it.

Oh an in the technotes there is just so much information (overload) for Novell/Mac and UNIX, I just don't know if I need to digest that much for a topic that's just supposed to scrape the surface for the N+ exam.

Help help ... please

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    Welll....I would not say that Comptia expects anyone taking the test to be an MCSA or Red Hat Certified. Thats all I'll say.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You certainly won't need to do things like take entire courses dedicated to Novell. If you are working through good Network+ resources, they should contain all (or most) of the information you need to know for the test. You can usually clear up anything else with a few Google queries.
  • Options
    147147 Member Posts: 117
    I found that you need to know the basic client services used by each OS, headaches that might arise from interconnecting them, file systems, and security features. Also, know the difference in the typical networking command line utilities and which OS uses each one (for example, know which OS uses ipconfig and ifconfig). This sounds like a lot, but its really not. You could probably fit the most important notes on a single typed page or two.

I only got about 5 questions total about Novell, Mac or *nix when I took the test. (I was actually hoping for heavy Unix questions, but I didn't get that lucky).

I didn't get a single question concerning OS specific security, but someone else may have.
    Fear is the absence of Faith.
  • Options
    Serge212Serge212 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Guys,

I just passed my Network+ last week and I did pretty well. I was also concerned about these OS questions and studied the subject as much as I could. Just like 147, I had maybe 5 or 6 questions about Novell/*nix/Mac.

I used as primary book the Network+ Exam Prep 2 (Not the Exam cram, but the thick 700 page book) from Mike Harwood, and complemented with The Complete Guide to Networking and Network + by Michael Graves (Not very popular but It was available in a Library nearby), Technotes from here, Google and Selftestsoftware from Kaplan. Both books and the Technotes together covered all the concepts in this section very well. Just make sure you understand the stuff don't just memorize, some questions are written so that you have to weed out non-relevant information.

I hope this helps!