Options

CCNP switching exam

fonquefonque Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
I passed my CCNA a couple months ago, and I am in training to start working in NOC. This NOC supports lots of switching equipment so I thought while im working in this new position I would start working toward my first CCNP exam.

What type of equipment would be recommended for home use? Will 2900 series still cut it for CCNP?
I program my heart to beat breakbeats and hum basslines in exhalation.... matter, verse, spirit

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd go for a couple 2950s and some multilayer switches such as 3560s. I used all 3750s for my lab (very expensive if you have to buy yourself!). You could get by with out the multilayer switches, but I think its better to have hands on with all the technologies. What ever switches you get ensure they have up to date IOS that supports all the features you need.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I think you will get mixed replies to this one. The curriculum requires some kind of multilayer switch like a 3550 or 3560. You probably will not get a 3550 for less than $550 a piece. At the very least, I would say 1 3550 and 2 or 3 2950's.

Some say that you don;t really need a multilayer switch because it functionsthe same as a router. If it were me and I was completely gung ho on getting the BCMSN now, I would probably get at least 1 3550. Not only for CCNP but for future studies as well.

You will probably need some wireless devices as well. Like maybe a cisco wireless client adapter and an aironet 1200 for starters.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    fonquefonque Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well im pretty strapped for cash, so i think the 3550 is out for now. Any simulators that may be able to somewhat compensate?
    I program my heart to beat breakbeats and hum basslines in exhalation.... matter, verse, spirit
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fonque wrote:
    well im pretty strapped for cash, so i think the 3550 is out for now. Any simulators that may be able to somewhat compensate?

For simulating the 3550 you're probably limited to Boson, if it does the 3550(?? not sure). An alternative would be to hit google looking for free/cheap rack time.