Failed 70-296, but got 100% in most sections

l9nuxl9nux Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I failed 70-296 yesterday with a score of 585 (needed 700), but I got 100% in most sections as below...

Planning and Implementing an Active Directory Infrastructure: 30%
Managing and Maintaining an Active Directory Infrastructure: 80%
Planning and Implementing a User, Computer and Group Strategy: 100%
Planning and Implementing Group Policy: 40%
Managing and Maintaining Group Policy: 100%
Planning and Implementing Server Roles and Server Security: 100%
Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Network Infrastructure: 80%
Planning, Implementing and Maintaining Server Availability: 100%
Planning, Implementing and Maintaining Network Security: 100%
Planning, Implementing and Maintaining Security Infrastructure: 100%

I haven't done 70-292 yet, but I am now wondering if these exams are just too difficult to pass. I thought I was going to walk out of there with 850+ The other option I have is to take 70-290, 291, 293, and 294.

I think where I failed, was on topics like migrating GPO settings from one domain to another (in a different forest). If 70-292 is even harder, I might give up and just do the 4 seperate exams.

Your thoughts? Is 70-292 really that much harder?

Comments

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Should have taken 70-292 first, and if you think 70-296 was bad, wait until you get a load of 292! icon_eek.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    I have to agree with HeroPsycho the 70-292 is far harder but alot of the subjects link over from the 292 so if when you pass that you already have some of the knowledge required for the 296, I took this exam yesterday and had 6/10 bars at 100%, 3/10 at 70% or above and 1/10 at 50% and got 850. I had a lot of GPO questions so feel my exam was very weighted in that domain and luckily I had 100% on both areas of the report.

I would definately recommend doing the 292 first especially as you only have until March 31st to take it so at least once you get past that one you can do the rest as single exams if needed

Good luck with it
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • l9nuxl9nux Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    At the moment I am so busy at work, I'm not going to be able to fit in the study time for 292. So I've now decided to take 70-290, 291, 293 and 294 as I won't have any deadline to worry about. Also, that'll upgrade me to MCSE in 2003.

I should have started on 292 last year, but I've been moving house, new job, got my VMware VCP, and been so busy with other things.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    l9nux wrote:
    At the moment I am so busy at work, I'm not going to be able to fit in the study time for 292. So I've now decided to take 70-290, 291, 293 and 294 as I won't have any deadline to worry about. Also, that'll upgrade me to MCSE in 2003.

I should have started on 292 last year, but I've been moving house, new job, got my VMware VCP, and been so busy with other things.

Don't be so quick to bail out yet... Microsoft is currently offering their 2nd shot promotion. Just sign up for a 2nd shot promotion code and use that to sign up for your exam. If you fail the exam, sign up tot take the exam again using the same promotion code and it will be free.

You might as well take advantage of this while there is still time.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think the problem is that he also needs to do 292 in addition to retaking this one. Those retire in less than two months. That's a lot to do when you don't have a lot of time to study.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    dynamik wrote:
    I think the problem is that he also needs to do 292 in addition to retaking this one. Those retire in less than two months. That's a lot to do when you don't have a lot of time to study.

You are right, but it can be done.

I don't know if l9nux has an MCSA in 2000 but if so then I would suggest getting the 292 done at least. This will at least get you an MCSA 2003. If l9nux does not have the 2000 MCSA than both the 292 and the 296 will be needed anyway, just to get a 2003 certification. In which case, the task does become much harder.
    l9nux, I think you will need to do the 70-297 or 70-298 as well for the design core as I dont think the MCSE2000 will count towards anything after March 31st (I could be wrong). Also depending on your elective might have that to do also.

With the second shot extended to end of June you can probably squeeze in 2-3 exams by then with a free go if you fail any.

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
    I spoke to Microsoft today and they said my MCSE 2000 counts towads the elective and design exams. This is from their site:

For the MCSE on Windows 2000 credential, the candidate should keep the following in mind:

• Networking: An MCSE on Windows 2000 has the option to take only Exams 70-292 and 70-296 instead of all four core network exams; however, an MCSE on Windows 2000 can elect to take all four core network exams.

• Client: An MCSE on Windows 2000 has already passed Exam 70-210 or 70-270, which also satisfies the client requirement for MCSE on Windows Server 2003; therefore, no action is required.

• Design: The design skills required of an MCSE on Windows Server 2003 do not differ significantly from those required of an MCSE on Windows 2000; therefore, no action is required.

• Elective: Elective exams are required so that candidates prove technical breadth, interoperability skills, or additional technical depth. For MCSEs on Windows 2000, the current MCSE credential satisfies the elective requirement for Windows Server 2003 because it proves the ability to support another version of the platform; therefore, no additional action is required.

I know it sounds like I'm bailing out early, but I've just got too much work on at the moment. I've kind of moved on from the MCSE world since 2004 as I've been heavily invovled in VMware and SAN design. That being said, I don't want to just let my MCSE get out of date.

Luckily my company has offered to pay for my 4 x core exams and a few courses too!
    Will the MCSE still count after March 31st? I know it definately counts at the moment

I felt rushed to get mine upgraded as i didn't think it would - nevermind its done now anyway :D

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
    dave0212 wrote:
    Will the MCSE still count after March 31st? I know it definitely counts at the moment

I felt rushed to get mine upgraded as i didn't think it would - nevermind its done now anyway :D

Yes, it does. I called Microsoft and they explained that they are only retiring some of the exams, not the MCSE. However, it is always good to keep it up to date. I'm now going to self study for 70-290, 291 and 293. In April I've got a course booked for 2279 (70-294) to give me a refresher then I'll take 294. If it all goes to plan anyway! :)