Options

Day 1 - Getting Started

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
All,

I am on my first day of planning for 70-290 and was reading the intro to a few books and clicking through the videos on TestOut and a few other things. Trying to decide my method. I did run into a question on the "are you ready" intro part of testout which was not covered (well, that I remember) on my 70-270.

Basically, if you have a domain controller are the domain admins automatically added to the remote desktop users? Does a domain controller even have a local admin?

I won't have a chance to try this in a lab until a week from Saturday so I was hoping to get answer here, not trying to be "too" lazy.

thanks,
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    There are no local users and groups on a domain controller.

Domain admins can always connect remotely to servers and workstations in the domain, because local administrators (and remote desktop users) have the user right "log on through terminal services" on member servers/XP clients. Since Domain admins are added to the local administrators group on all computers that are joined to the domain, therefore they have that user right as well. So you do not need to add domain admins to any group, all you need to do is to enable remote desktop on the server/XP client.

Good luck with your preparations. :)
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Dracula28 wrote:
    There are no local users and groups on a domain controller.

Domain admins can always connect remotely to servers and workstations in the domain, because local administrators (and remote desktop users) have the user right "log on through terminal services" on member servers/XP clients. Since Domain admins are added to the local administrators group on all computers that are joined to the domain, therefore they have that user right as well. So you do not need to add domain admins to any group, all you need to do is to enable remote desktop on the server/XP client.

Good luck with your preparations. :)

Good answer. The other thing you should be aware of is that, by default, only domain admins are allowed to log on through terminal services on domain controllers. This can trip you up if you're only used to working with the remote desktop users.