Options

wr me/write memory?

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was watching a tutorial where someone setup DHCP on a cisco router/L3 switch and they used this command. Does it still work or was it only used with older versions of the IOS?
I'm used to "copy run start," etc.
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes its still supported last time I checked.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    I have read that Cisco will not support it going forward, but like the poster said, it still works. I got into the habit of copt run start anyways. Just in case.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    Hi,

Also you can only use wr and it does the same, i use wr all the time in the lab but i know the the correct way is copy run start.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I never use "copy run start", wr mem everytime, unless doing an exam sim.I work on the latest versions of IOS and wr mem is still present and im sure it will be around forever as all the old school guys use it.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The "write memory" command is still commonly used, due to force of habit and the fact that it is quicker to type "wr me" versus typing "copy run star". Heck, I still use "wr t" (write terminal) instead of "sh run"

I'll probably keep using the write commands until they get rid of them
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cisco did drop the "write" commands back in the 10.x IOS (I forget which one) and due to compalints they added them back. I don't know if they canever really get rid of them. For the CCNA exams they want you to learn the "copy" commands, not "write mem"
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    dtlokee wrote:
    For the CCNA exams they want you to learn the "copy" commands, not "write mem"

ok while i originally learnt the copy run commands i now use the wr command irl....
    so that being the case if i used it in an exan simm... would i fail ? or lose marks at all ??
    anyone know ??
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    More than likely the command won't work if they don't want you to use it or the command is not required to complete the task (or beyond the scope of the CCNA, don't try to make a policy-map)
  • Options
    phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    EdTheLad wrote:
    I never use "copy run start", wr mem everytime, unless doing an exam sim.I work on the latest versions of IOS and wr mem is still present and im sure it will be around forever as all the old school guys use it.

Any particular reason why you don't use copy run start? In my production environments I've always used that, instead of wr or wr mem....

Just curious.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Wr or write memory came along before copy run start so a lot of people are used to it. Plus wr is so much easier to type than copy run start.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    True, unless you use aliases...but that's a whole extra step.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    I never use aliases. When you work on different companiess networks all the time you need to stop and paste in all your alias commands which takes time, plus the company's IT staff dosen't want them there. It really doesn't save any time, and is more of a hassel really when you can shorten most commands to 1-2 letters anyhow.

But that's just me.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Wow! talk about your small world!

I just found this same "write" situation on a 2501 router with IOS 11.0 on it about an hour ago!

I kept looking for "copy"--no copy. Glad IOS is very intuitive.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Habitual chopper and changer........

Some days I feel like wr mem and others copy run start........ Much of a muchness really.....

Although I have had problems with wr mem on PIX's not always copying the total config to the startup-config.... So when I'm on PIX's I always use copy running-config startup-config

Anyone else have this intermittent issue?? Got caught out once when I had to reload the firewall and ended up having to go through the backup config to see what had not been copied to startup-config.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    dtlokee wrote:
    I never use aliases. When you work on different companiess networks all the time you need to stop and paste in all your alias commands which takes time, plus the company's IT staff dosen't want them there. It really doesn't save any time, and is more of a hassel really when you can shorten most commands to 1-2 letters anyhow.

But that's just me.
    i agree with this...

alias exec siibx sh ip int brief | ex unass
    alias exec sibni sh ip bgp nei | incl BGP

i don't know if i could get used to typing stuff like that and not think its a strange type.. :D
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685