BLACKBERRY OUTAGE!

snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
...In north america. Crazy! So who else besides myself is effected? :D

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSN1145997920080211

enjoy the break!!! icon_lol.gif
**** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security

Comments

• CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    I am curious, why would a business prefer to implement a Blackberry system instead of Exchange, how would you ever want to hand off your critical email services to a third party system which you have 0 control over.. I know I dont know a ton about RIM and their product but my ignorance tells me this would be a bad idea.
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Hmmm...I blame solar flares. icon_confused.gif Maybe I'll hold off renewing my Verizon contract for the Blackberry 8830 upgrade.
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Not directly but I have clients who are. Boy do they get cranky when those things stop working.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    CoryS wrote:
    I am curious, why would a business prefer to implement a Blackberry system instead of Exchange, how would you ever want to hand off your critical email services to a third party system which you have 0 control over.. I know I dont know a ton about RIM and their product but my ignorance tells me this would be a bad idea.

A blackberry is basically a PDA with phone, browsing, and email capabilities. It is generally used in conjunction with an organizations current email setup such as exchange. So its not a choice of one over the other.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My company uses Blackberry devices for no other reason than I'm not totally confident in the overall security of SmartPhones and the push services of Exchange and the ability to reliably wipe a lost/stolen device. With a Blackberry, I don't have to guess.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    Hmmm...I blame solar flares. icon_confused.gif Maybe I'll hold off renewing my Verizon contract for the Blackberry 8830 upgrade.

Well about 5:30 AZ time, its all back up. Causes yet unknown to the public, but you might be right. As a maintainer of about eight 8830's they are pretty damn cool. Personally, I prefer my 8703e (its a tank).
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RTmarc wrote:
    My company uses Blackberry devices for no other reason than I'm not totally confident in the overall security of SmartPhones and the push services of Exchange and the ability to reliably wipe a lost/stolen device. With a Blackberry, I don't have to guess.

+1

We had both technologies running side-by-side; then phased out Exchange ActiveSync after a few months. RIM really has thier act together with mobile communications IMO. Compared to a few options with push, BES is far more granular with its setup and configuration. MUCH more secure too, as RTmarc mentioned. Those are just a few reasons.

• CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    I guess I could see the reasoning behind a more confident secure platform when it comes to safety on your mobile devices and the ability to do more granular stuff so point taken there, however when their site goes down like it did tonite, for me my panic level would be through the roof cause I would have no control over it.

My cousin supports a large amount of users on this service and I asked him how he was doing when this happened something like 6 months ago and all he could say was that he had a HUGE headache from all the support calls he was getting and that he could give no estimate for a timeframe on when service would be restored.
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Issue should be resolved now ... got the memo from RIM a few hours ago. It affected the company that I work for (the blue one...) and our client (a major bank)...