Options

Dynamips CPU usage?

gonzoflickgonzoflick Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok so Ive installed and am Running Dymanips. Pretty cool solution but Ive found my CPU utilization on my 2.8GHZ p4 w/ HT and 2gig RAM goes to 100% and stays there. Is this normal?

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    AFAIK, yes. Dynamips doesn't know how to translate the idle-loop process in the router to idle the PC.

If you're running GNS3, you drop the CPU usage down after the IOS is running by using "idlepc get R1" and then entering one of the values it suggests. I don't know how to do it on straight dynamips though. It will drop down to 1-2%.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should check out the Dynamips Forums for all your needs on this technology. A lot of good how to's and stuff there also.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    What operating system are you using?

If you are using Vista you could run into problems. It is a PIG of an O.S..
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    LBC90805 wrote:
    What operating system are you using?

If you are using Vista you could run into problems. It is a PIG of an O.S..

Agreed, performance is better on Linux. However bridging dynamips interfaces to real interfaces is easier on windows...

SO pick your poison.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    gonzoflickgonzoflick Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Haha Vista..hell no I use XP. I used the tool that records your idlecpu usage and gives you 10 options to pick. The best I could get mine down to was 60% usage. Guess thats better than 100%.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    gonzoflick wrote:
    Haha Vista..hell no I use XP. I used the tool that records your idlecpu usage and gives you 10 options to pick. The best I could get mine down to was 60% usage. Guess thats better than 100%.

I run Dynamips/Dynagen on Vista and have no issues with idlepc. Mine is usaully right around 5%. You should try all the different idlepc values until you find one that comes down to zero when not doing any configurations. It seems to jump up higher when running BGP on windows though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out the video at this link on how to install Dynamips. It shows you how to reduce the CPU utilization near the end of the video.

http://www.blindhog.net/cisco-router-emulation-software-dynamips-video-tutorial/