Options

Hyperterminal and Windows XP hung

rj45ethrj45eth Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello

My problem is when I plug my rollover cable from Cisco 837 ADSL to a serial port at the back of my computer, then windows is just hung up. However, when I plug the cable to other devices such as Switch 2950, then it is okay. Is there any problem with my Cisco 837?

I don't have an access router, therefore, each time I want to configure a router or switch I have to swap the rollover cable. It worked alright previously.

Comments

• Options
    I used GtkTerm (similar to HyperTerminal) under linux OS and it worked just fine, but it didn't work under Windows 2003 and XP. When I plug the rollover cable to the com port then my computer is just completely freezed. Anyone has any ideas? Thanks.

I used the same port parameters for Gtkterm and HyperTerminal:

Bits per second: 9600
    Data bit: 8
    Parity: None
    Stop bits: 1
    Flow control: None
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    For informational purposes, let me ask a few questions:
    Are you plugging in the RJ-45 into the router and then plugging in the serial port connector?
    Do you connect all the equipment in the same order? ie RJ-45 and then serial port?
    I've often moved the RJ-45 from equipment to equipment, but I've never tried hot-plugging the serial port. Even then, it SHOULD work. HMMMMM.
    Have you tried, as an experiment, shutting down the computer, connecting the serial port to the computer, then the RJ-45 to the 836, then starting the computer?
    It would be interesting to see if it worked if everything was connected BEFORE booting.

Ahhhh, the joys of a console server. Think of all the hassles you'd avoid. Just a thought.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    hypertrm that ships with XP is known to be buggy.....

go download the original much more stable..... else download an alternative your happy to use...
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    You can also download a free "Private Edition" of Hyperterminal from

http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/Telnet_freeware/

There are also several other terminal programs to choose from and they're all free; always a good thing.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/cat_5_63_Terminal-Telnet.html

This one has PuTTy, which is very popular.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use SecureCRT myself, it allows for telnet session tabs kinda like IE7 and Firefox,
    helps alot when you have a big lab goin, dont have to keep switching devices using
    shift ctrl 6 x

Of course it cost 99 bucks :) but well worth the investment :D
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Another good freebie is TeraTerm

Cisco uses it in their Video Mentor series

Download and use for free at http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your replies.

I did a hot-plug serial port because each of my router and switch has its own console cable. I think hot-plug serial port could damage the router console port? But why it works on Linux but it hangs on Windows even during windows startup (once it detects the com port)?

I have already used TeraTerm, Putty, etc... but when I plugged console cable to the console port the windows was totally frozen. TeraTerm or HyperTerminal took 100% CPU.

I have also tried to plug the router to Windows 2003, Windows XP, Windows 98. I got the same problem except Fedora linux.

Please give me some helps, it took me whole day but still couldn't figure it out.

Thanks.
  • Options
    You should be able to hot plug from the RJ-45 port.
    Another suggestion might be trying a USB serial adapter. That should be hot-pluggable because it's the USB port. They usually go for $10-15.
    That should solve your issue. Any computer store should have them or you can order them from an online shop.
  • Options
    Thanks freetech for your continuous help.

I will buy an USB Serial adapter as your suggestion. It can be used for other purpose as well. For the time being, I think I have to use telnet or GtkTerm to access the router. I used minicom in linux but had the same problem - freeze.