Options

Novell E-Directory compatible Proxy solutions

malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anyone have a recommendation o a proxy server that is comptible with Novell EDirectory for LDAP authentication?

We currently run Novell Border Manager but there are some issues surrounding DNS timeouts being hard coded to 5 minutes.

We know squid is an option but it is a bit of a fudge to get working and we have some concerns over support for it. Bluecoat is a no go, as it's too expensive and doesn't fit our business needs.

ISA is not an option currently as it doesn't give authentication with Novell E-Directory, only Active Directory which we do not have yet.

From searching the net the only viable alternative to BM appears to be Squid, but I'm looking for suggestions based on experience!

Cheers
Malc

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    malcybood wrote:
    Does anyone have a recommendation o a proxy server that is comptible with Novell EDirectory for LDAP authentication?

We currently run Novell Border Manager but there are some issues surrounding DNS timeouts being hard coded to 5 minutes.

We know squid is an option but it is a bit of a fudge to get working and we have some concerns over support for it. Bluecoat is a no go, as it's too expensive and doesn't fit our business needs.

ISA is not an option currently as it doesn't give authentication with Novell E-Directory, only Active Directory which we do not have yet.

From searching the net the only viable alternative to BM appears to be Squid, but I'm looking for suggestions based on experience!

Cheers
    Malc

Hi Malc,

I don't know your requirements in detail but have you looked at OctetStrings's Directory Federator Express (DFE) to see if this provides you with a solution?

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/5892.html
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote:
    malcybood wrote:

Cheers
    Malc

Hi Malc,

I don't know your requirements in detail but have you looked at OctetStrings's Directory Federator Express (DFE) to see if this provides you with a solution?

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/5892.html

Hi,

Thanks for the link, thiiss definitely something I'll investigate further icon_cool.gif .

To give a brief we have approx 1800 users spread over 380 remote sites & 1 head office data centre. All corporate internet traffic traverses BM proxy server in head office, which redirects to requests to Messagelabs we scanning service for content filtering/scanning.

BM is used solely for caching static content at our side and redirection to Messagelabs (no firweall or routing services setup).

The issue we had this week was that Messagelabs carried out a failover test to failover their DNS server from Frankfurt, to Amsterdam. Because our BM server DNS is hard coded to 5 minutes and can not be changed, the business had 5 minutes internet outage before redirecting to Messagelabs in Amsterdam.

We're looking for a solution to potentially replace BM and to add another proxy to remove Single point of falure for the proxy web service. Thanks again for the link.

Malc