SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
Hi

I'm looking for software to image a RAID 1

so far I've not had much luck finding software

can anyone point me in the right direction

Comments

• Options
    wagnerbmwagnerbm Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have done a little research on this along with another co-worker. The latest Ghost is suppose to work with RAID even though it isn't documented or supported. But I have been told it works.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm confused. You are looking to put a image on a RAID 1 drive? Are you looking for software that will RAID drives for you?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As long as the boot environment you use (whether running Ghost from inside the operating system on a non-system partition or from a bootable Vendor disk) has drivers for your RAID controller it'll work just like a normal drive.
    Essentially once the software can talk to the controller the arrays appear as any other drive.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    I'm confused. You are looking to put a image on a RAID 1 drive? Are you looking for software that will RAID drives for you?

I'm looking to get an image of a server I just built because we are making a backup server for it to run side by side so if one dies we can flip over to the other
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote:
    As long as the boot environment you use (whether running Ghost from inside the operating system on a non-system partition or from a bootable Vendor disk) has drivers for your RAID controller it'll work just like a normal drive.
    Essentially once the software can talk to the controller the arrays appear as any other drive.

thanks I'll have to try and figure out why it keeps hanging

maybe it's a driver issue but my Ghost experience is very limited
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote:

the drives appear in Ghost but when ever I try to perform the Ghost is fails

I also tired using Acronis True image and it fails trying to write to the backup drive

guess it could be a drive issue on the drive I'm trying to write to though

I jsut would need have another external drive to test that
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Smallguy wrote:
    Ahriakin wrote:

I also tired using Acronis True image and it fails trying to write to the backup drive

Where are you trying to save the image?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    Smallguy wrote:
    Ahriakin wrote:

Where are you trying to save the image?

to an external drive.... never had an issue with this before with Acronis or Norton for desktop 's and laptops but for some reason with this server it fails trying to write in Acronis and fails with Ghost as well
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Fails to write, are you sure it is not a problem with that server recognising the USB drive? Are you choosing to use specific USB drivers within Ghost or letting the BIOS handle it? Whichever you are currently using try the other method.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?