Options

Question about a company that moves locations...

ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
It was brought to my attention today that my company is moving. We are moving to a much nicer area, much nicer facility etc. The only problem is.. its 16 more miles away. My current travel is 34 miles one way... so this pushes it to 51.

We are a small company with roughly 20 people at this location.

I have been with the company just under a year. I was hired on full time salary in the low 30k range. I was only A+ certified when I took on this position. My roles include help desk tier 1-3.... however I touch literally everything aside from Cisco router configuration for our clients. I have gained all of the certs in my signature since being hired on. I am about to pass network +, and I am 2 tests away from MCSA. I am due for my annual review in June... however the move is to occur next month.

I am wondering if its standard practice to expect more compensation based off of this. It puts me in a real tough situation as its going to cost me atleast 5 hours extra a week in travel total... and also about 30 bucks more a week in gas.....

I am 21 years old if that makes any sort of difference...

Thanks for your input.....

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Personally I would recommend to brush up ye olde resume and see what you can find that is more local to you. My wife and I have both had to deal with the long commutes and if the drive is with bad traffic as well the added stress does not make it worthwhile. Another alternative though is seeing about moving closer to the company if you are really wanting to stick with them. Also if you have a good relationship with your boss you may want to bring these issues up with him/her. They may be able to work with you on things.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lets see, our company has moved facilities 6 times in 6 years. Some of them were additional offices, but a lot of personnel moves nonetheless. We had 3 major moves. My travel ranged from 3 miles one way to 30 miles one way. Sometimes I put 80 miles one way if I need to visit multiple offices. Currently, I spend an hour in traffic minimum now. in my experience, Most companies don't care if you travel more or less. If they did, then they would have taken it into consideration. I wouldn't expect any compensation for your extra travel. Never hurts to ask though (if you have that rapport with your boss). If you really like your job, Id stay put and just travel. If, not then work on that resume and find something local. It's all really up to you though.

best of luck either way!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A standard trick of one of the giant computer companies was to move people from city to city until they quit. No they didn't compensate them for the trouble.

When it comes to companies don't "expect" anything, you will only get what you negotiate/ask for.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
    Good news... company came and offered me 3k more a year. 1.44 more an hour basically to stay with them and as a reward for the recent certs. I still get my annual review in June.

Good times.

Thanks for the input guys.
    :D
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice!
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thacker wrote:
    Good news... company came and offered me 3k more a year. 1.44 more an hour basically to stay with them and as a reward for the recent certs. I still get my annual review in June.

Good times.

Thanks for the input guys.
    :D

not a bad bump! congrats!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    you have to earn your job just like anything else. The more cert you can attain and actually implement in the real world is whats going to get you more money.

Nice Job
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress